The ten best model kits of all time !

--WebTV-Mail-18831-1193 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Who needs the worst ? Not us ! 9/14/07

--WebTV-Mail-18831-1193 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-18831-1193--
On Sep 15, 1:36 pm, p snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Lindberg 1/8 Exterminator Dragster is my all time favorite build. I would do another in a minute. There are so many possibilities. It's like a blank canvas for an artist(:>
Count DeMoney wrote:

On the dragster front, I really liked the Revell offering of Tony Nancy's Loner - I forget the scale; 1/16 or something large like that. I'd love to get my hands on that one, and the others in that series again.
--
- Rufus

Rufus wrote:

Yeah, I like the Tony Nancy dragster too. I think it was re-issued not too long ago, so you should be able to find it for a reasonable price.
David Bono wrote:

There were two versions of it, as I recall - one with wings and one without. I think the reissue was the one other than what I was wanting, but I'd sure build that one if I find it.
Just remembered the other one - Praying Mantis...forget the driver. That one was rear-engined...another nice one.
--
- Rufus

Count DeMoney wrote:

We both had a blast with that one,didn't we? I sure wish they had reissued it with those great metal-flake green and red bodies. I got mine for around $10.00 down at our local Woolworth store. That was just plain fun to build. It's not perfectly accurate, but Realspace Models' N-1 resin kit in 1/144th scale is a very impressive and fairly easy-to-build model.
Pat
Pat
p snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

...hmmmn...that could be a tough call.
--
- Rufus

On Sep 15, 12:36 pm, p snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I would probably go with the models I built most as kid and what kept me in this crazy hobby since 1965....the Revell 1/72 B-17 Memphis Belle and that fantastic 1960s framable box art, the Revell 1/32 P-40 Flying Tiger and all the skinny box WWI Revell aircraft, god knows what I would be doing......
Craig
On Sep 15, 3:36 pm, p snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

For me, it was the very early AMT old timer cars, the 1932, 1936 and 1940 Fords (each a buck!), the Double Dragster kit and the 1925 Model T/Ala Kart kit. You could kitbash those into just about anything! Track racer, Dragster, street rod, full custom as well as stock or even military. And, as I said, all for a buck (okay, two bucks for the double kits....)
The Old Man wrote:

Did you ever have this one?: http://www.lindberg-models.com/43047_tall_t.htm What was that one like? As much fun as the big dragster?
Pat

I remember it but never had one; I had enough trouble sneaking the 1:24 scale kits into the house....
For me, one of the best would have to be Hasegawa's 1/72nd scale TF-104. Then Monogram's 72nd scale P-51B. Way earlier than those,I have a fond memory of the Revell F-94C, and the Atlas Missile and launch pad got me started on complexity in a model.
Before that, I truly enjoyed (If I remember correctly, it's been about 50 years now) the Lindbeg F-80 and F-86. They were very simple and basic, but they got me started on years of building palstic models.
Oh, and lest I forget, the Airfix Bf-109G that came out around 1968 or so. That was a watershed in the Bf-109 kits.
Then the Strombecker space station.
And then the Monogram 1/48th Spitfire V, Hurricane IIc, and Bf-109E3 that came out in about 63 or 64. They started the really accurate WWII models in 48th scale, as far as I am concerend.
Don H.
There's 'best' kits and 'most fun' kits... I have many 'best' kits.. that are so cool that I'm reluctant to build them. Put many of the Accurate Miniatures A/C in there. B-25, TBF Avenger, SBD... etc etc etc.
Most fun kits.... I really had a ball putting together the Hobbycraft P-26 (1/48).... Hasegawa P-47 (1/48).... Hasegawa G3M "Nell" (1/72) ....to name a couple. Eduard's P-39 was an easy easy and fun build too.
I giggled most of the way through building the AMT 1950 Chevy 3100 pick-up truck (I think that's the number). Weathered the crap out of it, built as a Union Pacific utility truck. Acquired some Missouri plates for it...figured out all sorts of junk to throw in the bed,too.
Then other fun stuff are the pranks.... there are a couple of us in Seattle who like pulling April Fool's with models and put articles in Internet Modeler. We always fool a few people. The most fun on that was the Israeli P-47 story that Terry Moore and I did together. I wrote the article under the pseudonym "Chaim Joshen" (say it out loud...I'm Joshin'). We got a lot of people to bite on this one:
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2003/april/aviation/P47.htm
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2003/april/aviation/Sinai_Jugs.htm
---- Stephen
Stephen Tontoni wrote:

Great name for a Israeli men's magazine. :-)
Pat
Don Harstad wrote:

I've got the Mercury version of that sitting around eight feet from me at the moment. For as many parts as it had, it really went together well.

I must have had almost all of their 1/48th scale line at least three times each. Loved that Mosquito and the FW-190 because of all of the versions you could do. I'll bet they had a noticeable increase in Mosquito sales every time the movie "633 Squadron" was on TV. :-)
Pat

In high school I built nothing but cars and the AMT 1940 Ford Coupe was by far my favorite. I've wanted the real thing ever since and it is my #1 dream for a 1/72 scale vehicle. Imagine a kit or two, one with the short wheelbase for the coupe, convertible; one with the long wheelbase for the staff car, station wagon, pickup. Drool!!!
Favorite model from my early modeling days would have to be the Airfix Avenger with the Suez paint scheme. All those stripes by hand !!! The Monogram P-51B and all of their 1930s fighters. The Revell Fokker D.VII with all of those lozenges and Belgian markings was fun. The Muroc Models Northrop GB-1 was fun and I'm pleased so far with their Ames AD-1 swing wing which is about 3/4 done.
The Roden PKZ-2 was a bitch to build and rig, but I must admit, the finshed model is striking. When/if I find the space I want to do both of the AMT Northrop flying wings.
Tom
Frankenstein Dracula Wolfman Creature from Black Lagoon Superman Batman Wonder Woman Robin The Mummy Dr Jeckell as Mr Hyde
http://community.webtv.net/DREW-56/NEXTWEEKPRODUCTIONS
''A COOKIE ADAY KEEPS THE GRIM REAPER AT BAY"
" snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com" wrote:

IIRC, Williams Bros. did a '40 Ford cpe in HO but in a solid clear plastic.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Pimples are wasted on the young.
On Sep 15, 2:36 pm, p snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I have two favorites: The Monogram 1/48 B-24J and the Monogram 1/48 C-47. The detail on both is impressive, the parts fit and both are versatile kits. I've used the former to build a number of Liberator variants, including a Liberator I, a PB4Y-2 and a C-87. I've used the latter to build an AC-47C, a C-50, a DC-3 Turbo Express (the ancestor to Warren Baseler's DC-3 and C-47 upgrades), a B-18 and a B-23.