10 worst model kits of all time

i want to build them all! gimmie bad kits and abuse, make it unworkable and ugly! (crappy week already)

Reply to
someone

try the seat in a linberg ar 234! it's a lazy l, sorta. but not to worry, there's a 2 piece, down the centerline canopy you can't see through. and rivets on the glass, even.

Reply to
someone

that mig looks like it's retaining a lot of water. or maybe it's pregnant.

Reply to
someone

Mig:

Even though it never really existed, it was still a better kit than the

again:

Note what it ends up being advertised next to on that page.

from:

Part of this interesting article:
For those complaining about modern tank model quality; it's time to

kits:

I've had most of these kits; the reviewer is being very kind to

This kit never ceases to amaze me. I have an "Air Trails" magazine from 1950 (several years before the Aurora model) and this aircraft is included as the MiG.15bis. Evidently ~somebody~ thought that this aircraft existed!

Reply to
The Old Man

The Glencoe (1/84th ?) Curtiss Condor should win the vote for being released before it was completed and never tested for fit. It's a great kit for honing skills, because it takes a lot of rework to get anything that looks close to the real airplace. A close second is the old Revell F9F-8 Cougar with a canopy that looks more like a lost fingernail than clear styrene. Right now I'm building the 1/48th Lindberg F7U-1 Cutlass to fill in my Blue Angels collection (to go with the Cougar). It's another on my list of worst. Rivets are the size of shot glasses, and the landing gear just plug into holes under the wings and nose. Wheel wells and more accurately rendered landing gear have to be entirely scratchbuilt and there was no cockpit at all. Gawd that's a lousy kit. In this thread someone commeted about the Chinese kits that you can't glue together. My experince puts AA Models near the bottom of my list. Now I know what they do with hazardous waste - mix it with styrene, inject it nto molds, and ship it to the rest of the world. Obviously I'm kidding about that. Waste is actually used in paint isn't it?

Because I hate to end on a sour note, I have to add that the simple and rather small 1/48th Czech Model XP-77 was a joy to build for a limited run kit, and another favorite is the 1/48 Hobbycraft Bearcat of which I've built three (two for my Blue Angels collection - one is Beetle Bomb).

-- Acroman

Reply to
acroman

They did know the Soviets got the Ta-183 plans, so they assumed they might have designed something along those lines as a fighter. The basic concept of a radar-equipped, rocket-armed fighter isn't that different from our F-86D. There was a West German magazine that published faked photos of several different types of non-existent Soviet aircraft in the early 1950's, and I wonder if this was one of them. In some ways the invented photos got fairly near real Soviet projects; some showed huge B-36 sized bombers developed from B-29 technology, like the Tu-4 "Bull" was, and before Tupolev built the Tu-95 "Bear" bomber, they did indeed build a couple of huge piston powered bomber prototypes as the Tu-85, whose systems were extrapolations of B-29 technology:

the fake MiG model looks a bit like the real MiG-15Pbis/SP1:
tested out the 'Torii-A" air intercept radar. If you go over to this webpage; you can see what we thought a MiG-15 looked like as of 1955:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Didnt Trumpeter copy the Mig15 32nd straight form Tamiyas 48th Kit? even down to the faults and spru layout?

Reply to
Jules

Well - One Kit that I would have to say first is a SMER kit (1/50) scale , I think , of the SM-79 Itilan Torpeado Bomber. I've been told that it isn't even really in 1/48 scale. Some Sprues inside of the box have more plastic that is ''Flashing'' than they have actually have for the Kit Parts. Some of the parts Halves can't even begin to line up at all. Anyone else feel the same way about this Kit as I do

And ''ANY'' of the Infamous Dollar Store Starfix Kits. Only thing I can think of that they might be good for is under that 'One Leg' of your table that makes it wobble

... cyberborg .........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

There are very few kits that I've just given up on, but the Merlin TSR 2 just totally sucked & a few years ago, I bought a Sharkit Horten bomber, I forget the number, but it was one of the bigger designs. IIRC, the wing (it was a flying wing, as it was), was in at least 3 sections, center & outer, & whomever did the mold(s), it was like 2 different people not even in the same room. The thickness & the chord was waaaayyy off & just wasn't worth the hassle. I sent Sharkit an email with my complaint & while apologetic, had no idea what the problem was!

On Sep 9, 12:19 pm, Stephen Tontoni wrote:

Reply to
frank

Trumpeter's worst kit hands down, USS The Sullivans, total waste of plastic.

Reply to
Ron Smith

The F-19. It made a big stink in congress, because they thought classified material had been compromised by its release.

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

And the real aircraft's design was far less sophisticated than the kit portrayed. The kit's design was largely based on a drawing of a Lockheed "RF-19" by Hideo Maki that appeared in the Japanese "Air Review" magazine. It's reproduced in the "Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1988-1989" edition The Revell 1/144th scale stealth fighter kit resembled his drawing even more:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I noticed that the seats in several of the RoG Luft '46 planes were very small. I guess the pilots had small bee-hinds!

Really? I found the kit to fit fairly well, and the cockpit and eng> So, yes the PM Moskito is a POS, but it sure was excellent fodder for

That looks like a great use for it! I didn't build either of mine as a Ta-154, and ended up using many of the bits in other projects.

Another annoying PM kit is their Yak-15. Nothing really too awful with the kit, other than its simplicity... but the canopy was ridiculously thick, thicker even than the fuselage plastic! It was so thick that it acted as a lens.

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

I've never seen a P6M before so it was worth you posting the link just for that. It looks more Soviet than US :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It looks too fat back by the tailcone, as this photo of its exhaust area shows:

AMtech resin kit looks a lot more accurate in overall fuselage shape:
near the tailpipe area. Unlike a lot of Luftwaffe secret jet projects, this got into the fairly detailed design stage before the war ended, so that data on it is out there if you go looking for it. The AMtech model seems to agree better with the wind tunnel model and design plans:
Huma didn't do a model of it.

I've got one I built and at least got rid of the most glaring errors on, but it's not anything to get excited about, that's for sure.

Got that one too. Those cannons don't attach at all well to the nose, and the jet intake cone seems to stick too far out the front.

Comrade! Was bullet-resistant "Rebalouk" plastic made from compressed onion skins laminated with fish bladder-based glue! At eight inches thick, Rebalouk could stop a .30 caliber bullet nearly

25% of the time! Many Yak-15 Hero-Pilots owed their lives to Rebalouk, and their unique odor also! These bold pilots were always immediately identifiable on their arrival at an airbase, as all spectators would smell the air and say "Yak!" to one another! ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Reply to
Hub Plott III

Generally yes, although they added a few new parts like the nose for the radar equiped version and a new, very wrong canopy. It would have been much better if they had simply copied the Tamiya canopy. In another strange twist, they even copied the Tamiya metal nose weight, but did not scale it up. It's the same size as the 1/48 one.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I built one...as I recall, it was one of the few Testors kits I've built that actually fit together well...

Reply to
Rufus

Anything by Scale Auto Replicas. I bought the '55 Dodge and, granted it's resin not styrene, it was terrible. It was obviously mastered off of a warped promo. The body was thin-shelled - too thin as I could push the driver's side door open with thumb pressure.

I still have it in a box along with some Modelhaus parts ordered to try and make something out of it. I really don't see it ever getting built as it's considerably worse off than my TKMs.

Back in the aviation end I have to nominate the 1960s edition of Aurora's XF-90. Mine was moulded in some sort of styrene that imitated shale. Attempts at sanding the fuselage and wings to correct some of the shape errors resulted in long layers flaking off. I never could get that surface smoothed down but built it as best as I could.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Lindberg had a twin-engined version in one of their catalogues from the early '60s.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller