10 worst model kits of all time

Bluepen wrote:

Oh, there were a lot of worse tank models than that out in the early 1960s. The Japanese used to make really awful tank models before Tamiya came along. The Leopard tank was a big step up by those standards.
Pat

Since this started out by talking cars, here is my nomination for the worst car kit. The Monogram 1/8 Jaguar XKE. It was big, expensive, and after spending hours and hours building and detailing the engine and chassis, then doing a nice finish on the body, the two (body / chassis) would not go together. Not without the assistance of a stick of dynamite (:>

well that's a bit of friggin' good news. got one of those in the attic. maybe I'll just leave out the engine and just build a shell...
Craig

Maybe, leave it in the box and sell it to some poor unsuspecting Jag lover. I threw the whole thing in the trash. That was probably 25 or 30 years ago. If I had to do it all over again. I would have just displayed the chassis / engine as I had painted and detailed it and not tried to force fit it together with the interior and body. (:>
Bruce Burden wrote:

I thought that was a great kit of a very interesting subject. Remember the Glencoe reissue of the FROG 3 rocket launcher? Sucky model.
Pat
Stephen Tontoni wrote:

The worst one I ever built was the Aurora 1/48 scale Me-109; this "thing" was made in metallic red plastic covered with huge rivets, and managed to combine features of a Bf-109B, C, D, and E into one model. It had obviously designed by someone who had only a vague idea what the real aircraft actually looked like, rather like a artist's conception of some secret enemy design based on verbal descriptions and very fuzzy photos:
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/kits/images/Aviation/aurora-me109.JPG
This model was completely beyond fixing - there was no way to modify it into a acceptable model no matter what you did to it. Despite that, Aurora marketed it for quite some time, thanks to the popularity of the "Twelve O'clock High" television series. They made a pretty miserable model of a FW-190 also:
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/kits/images/Aviation/box-aurora-earlyfw.JPG
That's pretty impressive exhaust, isn't it? It looks like it has RATO under the nose cowling. Another model which I never built, but had a terrible reputation was the Artiplast Macchi M.C. 72 seaplane racer. That one rated a whole article in Scale Modeler magazine due to its awfulness.
Pat

I still think the Zvezda T-60 is up there for worse tank model kit in 1/35 scale followed by the Trumpeter M60A1/A3 kit. Lousy copy of the Tamiya kit with a copy of the Tamiya instructions. It even points out Tamiya part numbers to add to the hull that Trumpeter molded in place on the hull.
Eastern Express IL-96 & the Testors B-2. I did manage to finish the B-2, after using a tube of putty.
--
Dale G Elhardt
Cypress Ca
the Legend of LAX wrote:

That one really did suck; they should have told you to glue all three top and bottom wing sections together first, let them dry, the join them as two big pieces. Better would to have used a bigger box and mold the whole works as two big pieces - top and bottom wing.
Pat
I think a lot of this comes down to who built which kits and when, and how much work you really wanted to put into the model. '
I built the "Big Jag" back in the 1960s when it first came out - I think it was a birthday present from my grandmother -- and had zero problems until it rolled off my dresser a year or so later. Not crash resistant.
Also having recently shown you can get a decent model out of an ancient kit (the Hawk/Testors F2H Banshee) I think it's not really fair to go after the 1950s kits. Ditto for Armor, as the ancient (pre Tamiya "Military Miniatures" series which began in 1969) it's also not fair.
Thinking of modern armor kits, would have to list the following in no particular order:
Tamiya M3 Lee/Grant -- just plain awful research Tamiya M551 Sheridan -- out of scale and not even close to the subject (the Academy one shows somebody at least LOOKED at a real Sheridan) Italeri M923/M925 Series 5 ton truck kits -- again, bogus details and a lot of bad plastic in one box. DML T-72 series kits -- Magic 140mm gun stuffed in a misshapen turret and a too-short hull with reversed glacis angles Tamiya T-72M1 -- they got to SEE a T-72 which DML did not and still screwed it up Don Express KV-1 Model 1940/41 - the closest thing to a Revell Sherman in the last 15 years, looks like a KV but has not a single accurate feature on it AER T-18/MS-1 -- alas, only game in town and one which needs a LOT of TLC; tracks will not fit as it comes out of the box Tauro Fiat 2000 -- ditto, but it is at least better molded SKIF T-55 -- great idea, right proportions and then they make it a "kiddie" model with big slots and crappy details DML Nashorn (Kit 6008) -- greatest kit I ever saw in the box and nearly impossible to build (also worst review I ever wrote as did not indicated it was a box rattler!)
Cookie Sewell
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

i want to build them all! gimmie bad kits and abuse, make it unworkable and ugly! (crappy week already)
RobG wrote:

Don't forget the AMT/ERTL 1/35 T-72 kit; length and link tracks are great...unless you mold them out of almost unglueable polyethylene.
Pat

Didnt Trumpeter copy the Mig15 32nd straight form Tamiyas 48th Kit? even down to the faults and spru layout?

Generally yes, although they added a few new parts like the nose for the radar equiped version and a new, very wrong canopy. It would have been much better if they had simply copied the Tamiya canopy. In another strange twist, they even copied the Tamiya metal nose weight, but did not scale it up. It's the same size as the 1/48 one.
Dave
For cars,any of the old mad dog resins.I used to buy them just for the challenge.I even finished a few! For planes,the 1/48ish Starfix kits.The 1/72 Starfix kits were often actually buildable,and I can get them cheap in my area.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the very old MiG-17 kit (Aurora?) that was molded in pea soup-green back in the mid-Fifties. It bore about the same relationship to a MiG-17 as the SPAD does to a B-2.
I was stunned a year or so ago when I walked into a hobby shop here in northeast Ohio and the proprietor had one assembled, but not painted, on his counter. I tried to purchase it, but he wouldn't part with it.
Another one that no one seems to have considered is the old (first) model out of the Stealth. I've forgotten who put it out (Testor's?), but it closely resembled something molded out of chocolate and left out in the sun for a day or two - absolutely no relationship to the real thing when it ultimately went public.
Andy
Andy wrote:

Comrade! The little green Mig: http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/AuroraMIG-19Page.htm Even though it never really existed, it was still a better kit than the red Me-109..in that case they had tons of detail on a real aircraft they could have consulted, but didn't. I wish I could find a photo of that assembled straight from the box so everyone could look on the pure horror of it. Meanwhile, back at models of non-existent Soviet aircraft, Aurora strikes again: http://modelarchives.free.fr/archives_P/Aplane/Aplane_Bounder_K.html Note what it ends up being advertised next to on that page. Here's where it came from: http://modelarchives.free.fr/archives_P/Aplane/Aplane_Bounder_S.html Part of this interesting article: http://modelarchives.free.fr/archives_P/Aplane/index.html For those complaining about modern tank model quality; it's time to remember Aurora's tank kits: http://modelarchives.free.fr/archives_P/Aurora48AFV_P/index.html I've had most of these kits; the reviewer is being very kind to them...by today's standards, detail level would be unacceptable on a garage kit.

that mig looks like it's retaining a lot of water. or maybe it's pregnant.

This kit never ceases to amaze me. I have an "Air Trails" magazine from 1950 (several years before the Aurora model) and this aircraft is included as the MiG.15bis. Evidently ~somebody~ thought that this aircraft existed!
The Old Man wrote:

They did know the Soviets got the Ta-183 plans, so they assumed they might have designed something along those lines as a fighter. The basic concept of a radar-equipped, rocket-armed fighter isn't that different from our F-86D. There was a West German magazine that published faked photos of several different types of non-existent Soviet aircraft in the early 1950's, and I wonder if this was one of them. In some ways the invented photos got fairly near real Soviet projects; some showed huge B-36 sized bombers developed from B-29 technology, like the Tu-4 "Bull" was, and before Tupolev built the Tu-95 "Bear" bomber, they did indeed build a couple of huge piston powered bomber prototypes as the Tu-85, whose systems were extrapolations of B-29 technology: http://avia.russian.ee/air/russia/tu-85.php Even the fake MiG model looks a bit like the real MiG-15Pbis/SP1: http://wp.scn.ru/mig_okb/planes-mig15-15pbis_sp1 http://wp.scn.ru/mig_okb/photo/mig15/053 http://wp.scn.ru/mig_okb/photo/mig15/15_03 http://wp.scn.ru/mig_okb/photo/mig15/15_01 Which tested out the 'Torii-A" air intercept radar. If you go over to this webpage; you can see what we thought a MiG-15 looked like as of 1955: http://www.kilroywashere.org/005-Pages/AC-Rec/05-AC-Recog-08-.html
Pat