zvezda kits

has anyone built any of their kits? i'm mostly interested in the petlyakov pe-8. it's interesting to me for the usual reasons about ww2, 4 engines and all the rest. it also is of interest because flying in one terrified that monster stalin. the expirience wasn't passed on to the public of course, so stalin's main double mad the fake flight to berlin for a propogand movies. there are scenes of the germans cheering "stalin" as he gets off the plane in "berlin". talk about cloud coo coo land, as the germans say. squadron has them on sale and i'm wondering if they are as needlessly complex as the icm kits? i have the icm baltic squadron kit and those 3 kits may not be built by me. the engines are complex and detailed enough to stand alone. so anyone have/built one? tanks, guys.

Reply to
someone

after correcting my search spelling, google coughed up a lot. looks pretty good, but is also busy. lots of parts.

Reply to
someone

I seem to recall reading that Stalin was afraid to fly in general. Still, the Pe-8 would be cool to build. I don't have it but I did do the Zvezda Ju-88. It was an excellent kit as I recall. Not Tamigawa but a decent modern kit, fairly well detailed, pretty good fit.

Reply to
eyeball

right about the monster's fear of flying. i bet a storch would have made him pee his pants doing low level stuff. never seen the ju-88 kit. what model was it? i remember some guy on ebay selling his collection of 88's. with conversion kits and vac forms, i bet he had 2 dozen different. last one i built was the old revelle. pretty dated but it did have the bug-eyed canopy with 2 mg's in the eyes. and one in the front.

Reply to
someone

ome=3D

It was a G-model with the squared tail. I did it as in that old profile where they painted the edges of the tail black to make it look like an older model. I also have an S from AMTech and the Ju-88A from minicraft 1/144. I don't do larger scales anymore but about a million years ago in my teens I had the AMT kit in 1/48. That was the first time I tried using an airbrush. And I wound up finishing it by hand, so you can guess how well I did. :-=DE

Reply to
eyeball

ok but not great? like my ju87 rebuild with 70's tech? i'll post some better pictures. i redid the canopy and it is vastly better.

Reply to
someone

.@s=3D

Which '87? The lindberg 1/48? I'm not sure I had that one but I do remember the monogram kit. My brother talked me into doing it tan with brown blotches. I think he had a thing for the Afrika Corps. I've got another copy of it laying around somewhere. I painted a few of the detail pieces years ago and then forgot all about it.

Reply to
eyeball

yes, the lindberg. i realize it's inaccurate, but it was a piece of my past and redoing it was a howl. it's sitting on top of my micro seki turntable. pretty funny if you know turntables. it just flat out looks good. all brush painted and even did the stretched sprew and cigarette antenna. i've been chuckling all day.

Reply to
someone

e..=3D

I'd love to see it. Nostalgia builds beat shake and bakes any day.

Reply to
eyeball

'twill be done before this day is.

Reply to
someone

Now that's what modelling is all about. I'm sure that Al S would have approved!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

i'm still amazed at the spares box he sent me. there are about 9 kits mixed in the pile. one is a revelle he 219. i've never seen another parts box that weighed 20 lbs. it must be 40 years worth of stuff. i try to keep his spirit alive. i give stuff and help whenever i can. i have 2 kits from his collection. i didn't have money to buy more, damn it. i look up to his memory.

Reply to
someone

I feel fortunate to have gotten some of his decal sheets. They appear to be downsized Superscale sheets but he said he re-drew them on his computer. I have yet to build one of the planes that they are made for but at least I have the sheets in my possession.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller