Famous model builders

Mostly stolen.

Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands

14th. int. electric fly-in
Ron van Sommeren

Curt Schilling, pitcher for the Boston Red Sox is an avid military modeler from what I've read.

Reply to
Pauli G

really? wow, who'd thunk it?

Reply to
someone

Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda used to get together to build wooden flying models.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Walt Disney built large scale operating steam trains from brass. In the movie "The Greatest Show On Earth" the train crash scene is done with two of his models.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Waiter, a Sarcasma for my friend here...;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

would you like whine with that, sir?

Reply to
someone

ezra pound and ts eliot are fighting in the captain's tower while..... oops, wrong song.

Reply to
someone

their's some film of him riding some kids around on one he built. he has the hat and everything.

Reply to
someone

Makes you wonder what ever happened to his collection when he went toes up. Hopefully it's in a museum setting now.

Reply to
The Old Man

did you google it?

Reply to
someone

Walt Disney's Carrolton Railroad (IIRC the spelling) still exists. It's occasionally on tour. Saw it a couple of years back at the Sacramento Train Museum. Some of it will most likely be in the Walt Disney Family Museum in the San Francisco Presedio. Daughter Dianne Disney Miller is building the museum, which opens in about a year.

Walt, too, had the almost full sized layout in Disneyland. He was also heavilly involved in the model shops producing models of attractions, rides, etc. Some of his attractions are models in themselves. The TWA/ Douglas Rocket To the Moon was a large scale model of the rocket. The Strombecker/Glencoe kit is a 1/72 scale model of the structure. One of the guys at the Santa Rosa IPMS meeting last night had a huge resin scale model of it, about two ft. tall with a seperate model of the lower view port complete with railing. It looked to be about 1/48 of the "real" space ship. The original Capt. Hook Pirate Ship by Revell (which I have been looking for for years) is also a 1/72 scale model of the Disneyland pirate ship structure, long gone these many years.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

IIRC, it was Jane Fonda that told that story about them during a interview about how she grew up. Can you imagine this kid sitting at the top of the basement stairs, and hearing those two great voices rising up from below? "You're weighing her down...you're using too much glue." "No I'm not, Jimmy, she needs that strength if she has a hard landing." "Nope, nope, she won't have a hard landing if you build her light enough... she'll come down smooth and slow if you keep her light enough." "Let me guess, this is the 'B-36 lesson' again, isn't it?" "Well...yeah... The B-36 is a great aircraft, and built mighty light in regards to wing loading versus overall weight." "So you're suggesting I should replace the balsa-wood parts with magnesium?" "Well... I wasn't suggesting that, Hank...I was just suggesting a little less epoxy glue might make her fly better." "Well, Jimmy...when you build your plane you can use as little epoxy glue as you want, but this one is going to be strong." "Your...your...choice, Hank...but is sounds like the Russian way of doing things if you ask me, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if your children grow up to to be commies because of that approach to flying model building." "What in God's sake are you talking about, Jimmy?" "You just wait Hank... one of these days one of your kids is going to be sitting on a commie antiaircraft gun, because of your choice to use too much epoxy glue on that balsa model aircraft structure." :-D

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

His operating steam engines were supposed to be downright fantastic; working gauges in the engineer's area and all. This led to a oddball thing....Walt Disney swung a long-term deal with Brassworker's Union that all Disney miniatures would be made of brass...so when you see the "iron" submarine "Nautilus" in "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", what you are actually seeing is a beautiful model made of brass, painted and corroded to look like iron. :-) Same goes for the spaceships in "The Black Hole".

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

baliff! whack his pee pee!

Reply to
someone

where do you get this stuff, pat?

Reply to
someone

"Take her from this place, and bring her around to my place". - Judges skit # 2 - Monty Python. Meanwhile, "The Wrath Of Spiny Norman":

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

At 51 years old, and having been building models since I was around five years old, you pick up on a few things over the decades. My blessing is that I can pretty much remember anything that's occurred in my life in detail if I think about it. My curse is the same thing; I can remember every time I screwed up in my life in exactly as much detail.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

yes, i have that edetic thing, too. more of a curse. then tell someone every teacher you've had and they get glassy eyed and often frightened.

Reply to
someone

oops, spelling.

Reply to