How Many Models Do You Have On Display?

I know most of us have some kind of compulsive disorder that makes us buy kits even though we know we shouldn't...and god forbid we actually finish one...

so for those who have found a way around this, how many kits do you have on display around the house?

I really do not know how anyone does it actually. I have around 15 feet of submarines waiting to be built, around 12 feet of WWII battleships,....

No idea at all where they will go

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Hub Plott III

About 250 models of 1/72nd scale things... Shelves, mostly. Rapidly reaching a choke point, where I'll have to move a bunch to semi-retirement (joining about 100 others) or put up more shelves.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Around the house, maybe 3 or 4 dozen. At work I have six display cases full (in the lobby of the LAX air traffic control tower).

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

Hello

In my Bunker around 450 models of different scale...

Greetings The Bunker Collection

1965-2008 TDC
Reply to
TDC

21 in all possible spaces. the music collection takes up 98% of space.
Reply to
someone

wow, you guys have it sorted out.

Reply to
someone

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news:c69f8a9e-3f48- snipped-for-privacy@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

65, predominately 48th and 72nd aircraft, in a single, 6 shelf case from IKEA, which is about to max out. I've got over 300 waiting to build. To quote from "Jaws"...."You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Gary Anderson

Reply to
Gary Anderson

Currently about 40 on display. Some are going to have to go soon. I am also going to thin my stash down to about 40. It's currently near

  1. A lot of the stash is out of production so it will be easy to liquidate. I already sold all the Pocher kits for a tidy sum.

I have been working on my skill level and will probably go through several more experiments while I get better with the airbrush. I hope to have just about 25 kits that I really want to build after I retire. I am sure I will add a few more along the way but I really want to try to keep it to a realistic level.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

where's the fun in that?

Reply to
someone

I have 58 aircraft.

1/48:

9 Bf-109s

1 P-40 1 Hurricane 1 F-104 15 Spitfires/Seafires

1/72:

6 Hawker Hunters 2 Gloster Meteors 3 F-16s 2 F-8s 2 A-7s 3 F-104s 1 F-86 12 F-4s

Plus another F-4 and and F-15 on my workbench

Plus two "what-ifs". An RF-4C used as a testbed for the F-15 ICS and painted in air superiority blue and dayglo orange, and an RAF F-16K Falcon FGR3.

Then there are the dozens of steam locomotives and rolling stock for my model railway. However, they are not usually kept on display.

I need more shelves.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

At last count,I have over 1200 planes,roughly 90% of which are 1/72. About 1000 cars,mostly in storage (I gave up on that part of the hobby) a couple tanks,space vehicles,sci fi stuff...maybe a dozen ships/ carriers/subs. Not to mention several hundred unopened planes,maybe 100 unopened cars (might be for sale...) I passed the point of needing to retire some,a few years ago...

Reply to
eyeball

Well, I have about 50 cars on display in the house, another 30 or so in boxes in the garage yet to be unpacked, and about 250 unbuilt! I've given away around 300 or so over the years....my wife made me thin out my collection every time we moved..... I am divorced now, so the stash is growing!...lol

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

I have about the same range as most of the posts. However, too many of them are large scale. I love large scale for the extra detail, especially for scratch projects and ships. But I have absolutely run out of space and must now get rid of some of my many larger scale models.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

boxes in the garage yet to be unpacked, and about 250

me thin out my collection every time we moved.....

now has anyone ever bothered to dust the little buggers? all my kits are spread all around the garage, each with a nice coating of dust...

Craig

Reply to
crw59

in the garage yet to be unpacked, and about 250

thin out my collection every time we moved.....

Funny how that happens. The same thing went on here for about 10 years but I have pruned an amazing amount of stuff through E-bay. I don't have a figure for the cars but at one time the aircraft models would be an estimated 500 built, 200 in rebuild and about 700 kits. They sat on steel shelving bought here and there over the years. Now the remaining kits to go are closer to 30 in number. There are still built models to go too and they are probably of a similar quantity. Then there are the never-finished models still littering several shelves and a tabletop. Oy!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Almost the same story here. 20 year old,several mm thick dust can be interesting to get off. And it leaves such amazing designs in a gloss paint job!

Reply to
eyeball

on 4/9/2008 12:24 PM eyeball said the following:

I cleaned my 25 year old models, that were stored under the basement stairs, by spraying them with 'Simple Green' and then running warm water over them. Windex can be used as well.

Reply to
willshak

by spraying them with 'Simple Green' and then running warm water over them.

Yep...I used windex as well. Some of the older glossy paints were rough to the touch but buffed out. In a few extreme cases a coat of future helped. And the flat finishes faired far better.

Reply to
eyeball

i use lukewarm water with dish soap in it. gotta have sealed decals! don't axe how i know. i fill the sink, invert the peiece and hole it in for 30 seconds. turn it over, let sit until it starts to dry, then do the process again in clean water. i cleaned a friend's collection after he had a stroke and it got them pretty clean. some needed multiple dips but it gradually all came off. works best on tough kits like armor. on ac, it will takes of antennas unless you are really gentle.

Reply to
someone