GFCI Lab Tests (revised)

does any one in the group know or have info on how GFCI tehnology was tested

Best Wishes, Attentively };-) Roy Q. T.

Roy Q.T.

excuse me: Does anyone know how GFI technology was tested ? and how they know the results of a GFCI classic bathroom accident or attempt isn't harmful to humans.

Having my own notions I'm curious, oh', by the by last I saw a monkey being used for tesing was in the 60's.

actually I wish we could set up our own web based lab and rest assured from our own tests.so i'll search around too.

" Have A Smashing Day "

Roy Q.T. [exotech]

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

my query is: will a dirty stinking, filthy, diseased ridden, useless nyc sewer rat, survive the trip.

if not: that maybe too much of a shock to bare., as someone pointed out in an earlier post.

so far haven't found any pertinent scientific data: only that they have saved countless lives that would have otherwise perished by electrocution.

600+ in the 60's on a yearly count down to about 200 in the late 80's.

nothing lab related though.

Has anyone found or participated in anything related to this post ?

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Roy Q.T.

GFI's are tested by generating various different types of leakage currents, or simulating them in its current transformer.

If you mean how do we know what effect the different currents have, it's something that many regimes around the world researched heavily during the last century, notably Nazi's during WWII, although I believe the Nuremberg Trials or subsequent treaties actually forbid the use of such Nazi research after the war.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

1) Part of that may be due to factors outside of the GFCI including the fact that in the 60s most folks still lived in pre-WWII housing while at the same time were using much more electrical "stuff" like heaters, cookers, power tools, etc. 2) I know for a FACT that a good portion of GFCIs built over 10 years ago can fail to trip (I have two in the house I got to get "aroundtuit" and replaced one a few years ago.)

Seems to me that "public safety" types should encourage folks to use the GFCI tests (three lamp test with "test" button) just to be sure.

Reply to
John Gilmer

yeah i agree, plus there were no GFCI in homes in the 60's.

it is recommend that one test your GFCI every month with the lamp test.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

i don't remember, nor have seen any such reports but it is possible that data from nazi experiments may have lead to modifications and & design oblectves regarding device current, in the shadow of deaths by electrocution in other parts of the world.

Hiltler was one bad dude., with the abundance of rats in our sewers i don't see any need for human testing.

If GFCI's were developed back then they were most likely tested with resus monkeys in the US.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

GFCI development wasn't until 1970's, years after the effects were known. In the UK, we had earth leakage circuit breakers way before then (I think from late 1940's in some homes), but they worked differently and were for protection of wiring rather than people.

The effects of electric current are vastly different between species, and humans for some strange reason are amongst the most resilient. Some farm animals can be electrocuted by currents you can barely feel and voltages you would handle with bare hands without any concern. Areas accessible to livestock have special electrical safety requirements in the UK because of this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's on the un-realistic side for most folks and me in particular.

I have at least 10 in (and out) of the house now and that's without ANY GFCIs in the kitchen.

Even if I decided to "test" them all, I likely would forget one or two.

Reply to
John Gilmer

i hardly test them myself and if n when there are children of the technical society class around there is bound to be a call on gfci action, with that in mind is that I am way past curious about how they Tested these things to begin with..

I want to read about The Subject Rhesus no. 291-333-4951 or whatever, When wired and put on a substrate of household floor rated ground., Reaction to GFCI cut off leak with :?????????, and ?????? effect was 1) negligible 2) as that of mild shock, 3) shuttered and collapsed

Then when standing on a Puddle of water and finally when partially immersed in water .

I want to know Just what Happened..???

Or I'm pushing for test with Lab Rats.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

John, Friends;~>

I don't want anyone to think I'm cruel or cold hearted even of Rats & Mice actually I maybe a little emboldend because, the little bugers somehow use to make it into my apartment and if my Cat Mishy didn't kill it I'd flush it down the toilet and allow it to join it's relatives.

Well: I got tired of this wondering the long way through & that I just as well should just terminate it in the garbage, I caught the next one n put it in a plastic germination laboratory container (fed it something & all) nasty little buggers crap like a machine., Needles to say: the next day I walked down the block and released it in a little semi-public garden by the school & church where i trust they abound secretly: man was I disappointed, when i talked to whom i assume is an admisistrator in front another day, and told her what i did to save one of Gods wee creatures She almost Hit The Panic button., and asked me not to do it again.

One little mouse is so unwelcome I thought.

what to do if another one pops up ? hmmmm? there are stick guidelines when employing animals of ay caliber for testing electricity.

Anyhow; I think the Info about my post isn't readily available because some folk are too Busy gathering info on far more Intense darn near cruel n senseless research.

I am still looking what they have on this and will post some websites to that effect.

Please send me what you've found fellow discussion followers.

Cordially Yours ; Roy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

I think I've figured it out: From the brief on NAZI experiments and the willingness of Our Engineers & Technicians to work on Development from Specs (historic lessons) I gather not many test of this Nature we all suppose where necessarily conducted.

Providence is a true convert of ill things.

BTW: if anyone is interested the GFCI was Developed at Pass & Seymour and they have recently celebrated it's 30th Anniversary.

Still there are some sceptics and I am not totally satisfied that it will not shock, but assured that it won't be a fatal or injurious one.In any event here is a webpage of people involved with methods I described earlier. it would hurt to say.

I aught to wire myself onto one n try it myself };-) gimme a few more of those whiskey sours ;-p

Reply to
Roy Q.T.