Why is machining so dirty?

Subject almost says it all.
Making a tube so I can splice two refrigeration hoses (manifold gauge hoses)
together since nobody is willing to sell me the needed fitting to my 30 lb.
bottle of R-134.
Start with 1/4" diameter by 2" long piece of air hardened steel. Put it in
3 jaw chuck. Drill full length with an 1/8" drill bit. Try to cram it into
the hoses, too big. Back into the 3 jaw, live center in tail stock, reduce
the diameter, flip it end for end and reduce the rest to match. Clean up
with a little piece of emery cloth. Project complete, except my hands are
filthy black.
Tools are relatively clean. Chuck key is pretty clean. 1/4" rod is brand
new. Why is machining so filthy? Does this happened to you guys also?
Seriously, I could do a brake job on my truck and only get half as dirty!!
What gives?
Ivan Vegvary
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
Stop doing warm-up cuts on graphite blocks.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
this stuff, including barstock, is dirtier than it looks.
Reply to
Ignoramus4323
It is a badge of honour. As long as you do not do surgery in your day job when it can get teensy weensy embarrasing. Barrier cream before, Orange Cleaner after...
Reply to
Michael Koblic
The approved way is to buy or make brass barbed connectors to make Frankenhoses. Hidden at your all-night WalMart with the air tool supplies. Likewise braze adapters out of brass pieces cut from off-the-shelf fittings.
Of course it is an EPA felony to mix up your refrigerant kit, or retrofit R12 gages to R134a fittings, etc. So this is, um, a purely hypothetical suggestion, for educational purposes only. I am required to disclose that you should discard all your R12 gear and replace it with Chinese versions with original government-approved fittings.
Betcha didn't know metalworking could be criminal.
Betcha never thought criminal law would incorporate metalworking specifications. Thou shalt not mix left hand threads with right, it is an abomination. Cf 40 CFR
.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
Like these?
Kevin Gallimore
The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Reply to
axolotl
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message news:DZCak.156$wa1.90@trndny07...
Perhaps you are a dirt magnet. I have the affliction, and it may be hereditary. I could walk through a level 7 clean room and come out with dirt on me. Forget about wearing white, it's just an invitation to disaster. My wife thinks it's some kind of negative charge thing---she is sure that dirt will jump up to 20 ft just to cling to me.
Bill
Reply to
BillM
Machining is dirty to keep girls from doing it.
Reply to
Dan H
If ya ain't dirty, ya ain't workin'
Jim
Reply to
Jim Chandler
I don't wear white either. I am kind of like PigPen in the old Peanut comics.
CarlBoyd
Reply to
Carl Boyd
Richard, You are so right about the above. I guess I need to go from a 1/4" flare to an acme thread. The web site indicated about 3 messages down show the right fitting. I simply don't understand why the 30 lb. bottle of 134 did not come with a male 'acme' thread instead of the old 1/4" stuff. I did go to my local ACE hardware to pick up two fittings that I could silver solder into one. As soon as I saw that they had 3/16" and 1/4" barbed hose splices, I purchase those. One of those should be a good fit for my two cobbled together hoses. BTW, my local ACE has lots of brass fittings, however, they tend to be about $ 5-6 each.
Thanks for you ideas.
Ivan Vegvary
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
Yep. Illegal adapters.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
You have iron oxide (black) on your hands. Micro ships or scraping tiny bits or from grinding / sanding.
I turned some custom made Iron. That was full of carbon! It smelled of oily carbon.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
It may depend on whether it was sold for auto use or fixed refrigeration.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
It's the exact same R-134a inside the bottle, only the fittings are changed to increase the prices...
Adapters between SAE Flare and ACME Flare are readily available premade at any refrigeration supply house, for a lot less than it costs to make them. I have them.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:18:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl Boyd" quickly quoth:
You're likely describing the entire group here, guys. We DO things and we MAKE stuff and we FIX stuff. That gets us dirty. End of story.
I wear white only in my nightmares.
-- Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Dreaming you're Yanni or Ricardo Montalban?
Reply to
Ned Simmons
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:19:43 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned Simmons quickly quoth:
No, The Loooooooooooooooooooooone Raaaaaaaaaaaaaanger, Tonto.
-- Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Oh, try machining cast iron and get back to me about nasty and dirty.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Grand Kleegal Sen. Byrd?