Heat a 30 AWG wire with 4 Amps? Current limit of a wire?

Heat a 30 AWG wire with 4 Amps? Current limit of a wire?

The purpose of using a 30 AWG is to create heat. The wire is going to heat, and that is what I want. How can I calculate the limit of current I can use?

In the table

recommend, for safe use of 30AWG, 0,86A IN OPEN AIR.

and in the table

recommend, for safe use of 30AWG, 0,86A MAXIMUM AMPS FOR CHASSIS WIRING.

What is IN OPEN AIR? What is MAXIMUM AMPS FOR CHASSIS WIRING?

To create 30 Watts, my calculation gives me 4 Amps using 30AWG.

Is the 30 AWG wire is going to break?

How can I calculate the current limit of a 30AWG wire?

Reply to
Jean

WIRING.

The tables are no good for heating, that is what they are trying to avoid. Use longer wire, or use a wire made for heating, called heater wire. Stainless steel etc. Copper is a poor choice for heater wire, too conductive, too weak.

Reply to
nospam

WIRING.

for the word *heat*.

What is MAXIMUM AMPS FOR CHASSIS WIRING?

link above also. Think: practical limits.

If you blow on it REALLY, REALLY hard, you may get it up to 4A before it melts. 8-)

Reply to
JeffM

"Nichrome" wire is generally used for heater elements.

True. Copper is very bad for a heater. ...also melts at too low of a temperature.

Reply to
keith

i agree use the right wire for the right job,, years ago we use to fashion a coil of bare solid copper wire and plug it into the receptacle to see how it didn't blow the circuit breaker it wabble all out of shape and was only good for heat for a few seconds.

how to explain this : it ivaporates., under ground it will probable corrode and become part of your dirt.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Reply to
w_tom