30 Gauge Wire & DC Motor?

I was wondering if I can use 30 gauge wire-wrapping wire to power a DC motor.
The motor is a "Gear Motor 2" from www.hobbyengineering.com with the
following specifications:
"This motor offers 50 in-oz of torque and rotates at 38 rpm (just a bit slower than a servo). With a 5V power source it draws 600mA when stalled and 52ma when unloaded. It has a 7mm double-flat output shaft, built-in clutch, and convenient mounting screw holes."
The webpage http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm says that 30 gauge wire has "Maximum amps for chassis wiring" of 0.86 and "Maximum amps for power transmission" of 0.142, both values very conservative.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thank you.

I believe the rated current maximum for 30 gauge kynar insulated wire wrap wire is 500mA. I don't think you should use that wire near to or greater than its rating.
Choose a multistrand wire instead.

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:09:49 -0800, redbrickhat wrote:

Don't do it. That kind of wire isn't for that kind of application. Don't use solid wire for hookup to something like a motor. In fact, avoid it everywhere if at all possible except for wire-wrapping, protoboards, and bus wires, otherwise use stranded. And for a motor that could stall at 600 mA, I'd use at least #28, preferably #26. What kind of application is it? is there a lot of vibration?
Here Ya Go: http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T061/1498.pdf
Cheers! Rich
redbrickhat wrote:

<snip>
As you noted yourself, 30 gauge wire is rated for about .14A for "power transmission". Your stall current is more than 4 times that. Under stall conditions, the wire might not fuse, but it will certainly get real warm. No way to run an ant farm.
Copper hasn't become that expensive. In the "real world", you would use a minimum of 22AWG stranded wire for this purpose.
Splurge a little. The dominant consideration here is the physical strength and durability of the wire and the connection.
Good luck Chris