8-gauge stranded wire strippers?

Forgive me if this is a trivial question to you guys. I'm looking for wire strippers for 8-gauge stranded. I'd love to find a stripper that does 8 and larger, too, but even if it's just a preset for 8 I'd be happy. I'm in central NJ, USA. Anyone know where I can find such a beast? TIA.

Reply to
Tony Sz.

Thanks for replying, Brian. I'll take a look. Hopefully they're better than the GB's I just tried and brought back.

Reply to
Tony Sz.

Ideal has one that does up to #8. Super T®-Stripper Wire Strippers

"Tony Sz." wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... Forgive me if this is a trivial question to you guys. I'm looking for wire strippers for 8-gauge stranded. I'd love to find a stripper that does 8 and larger, too, but even if it's just a preset for 8 I'd be happy. I'm in central NJ, USA. Anyone know where I can find such a beast? TIA.

Reply to
Brian

Ideal, Greenlee and Klein are common brands for such things. There is also something called a Stripmaster that might do the job. Ideal's website is here:

They have something called a wire skinner. Maybe that's what you're looking for.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yeah, it is called a knife.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

Thanks to those who responded. For the emergency interim I'm using an old coaxial cable stripper with the blades down almost all the way. Works perfectly, actually. I did some test strips and no nicks or ringers so for now this'll do. Cheers.

Reply to
Tony Sz.

Reply to
dummy

"Gerald Newton" wrote in news:41633c06$ snipped-for-privacy@news.acsalaska.net:

A hawkbill at that....

Reply to
Anthony

Milbar 3E is of decent quality

?Up-Front Strippers? *Stripper, Cutter 8-16 AWG*

?s falke

Reply to
s falke

A knife is what we use, dummy. Buying a stripper for No. 8 and larger is ridiculous. In 40 years I have never used one, because we don't use them, we use a knife.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

Klein model 11049 strippers will handle up to 8AWG. Sears carries some Klein tools.

Ideal's stripmaster can be had with blades for 8AWG wire. This is an automatic stripper that grips the wire and pulls off the stripped insulation when you squeeze the handles.

For larger wires, use a knife. If you're not comfortable with that, try a coax stripper, a swivel-blade stripper , or a hot knife .

If you're going to be stripping these wires in volume, a Simplex stripper works very well (also good for stripping the jackets of multi-conductor cables). This is a hand-operated bench-mounted machine which needs a pair of blades for each wire size to be processed. They used to be made by Wenco; apparently they are now available from Loos .

Schleuniger makes some very, very nice pneumatic- or electric-powered wire strippers and machines that cut wire to length and strip it. Unfortunately, they are very, very expensive.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar