Wire size vs. Breaker Size

Is there any problem with using 12 AWG with a 15AMP breaker?
I know that a 15 AMP breaker is usually used with 14 AWG wire....But who
uses that anymore? Most modern households are wired with 12 AWG aren't they?

I have put 3000 feet of 14 gauge wire in my brother house and 4000 feet of 12 gauge also and 14 - 2 is used because it is cheaper than 12 - 2 we used 12- 2 on plugs and 14 - 2 on lights

used
It's also a LOT easier to handle.

So is cable with stranded wire.

of
I've see that, I believe. Are you talking about stuff that looks like it could be use for an appliance or is it something that "looks" like Romex but with standed rather than solid conductors?

| | wrote: |> | |> | |> |> I have put 3000 feet of 14 gauge wire in my brother house and 4000 feet | of |> |> 12 gauge also and 14 - 2 is used because it is cheaper than 12 - 2 we |> | used |> |> 12- 2 on plugs and 14 - 2 on lights |> | |> | It's also a LOT easier to handle. |> |> So is cable with stranded wire. | | I've see that, I believe. Are you talking about stuff that looks like it | could be use for an appliance or is it something that "looks" like Romex but | with standed rather than solid conductors?
The latter. You can get stranded wire in all cable types. In fact, you must use it for AWG 8 and larger sizes, anyway. It happens to be available, though probably not readily so at home improvement box stores since it is not a popular item for some reason. You can also get it in single like THHN for pulling through conduit.
What varies is the size of the stranding. But I think at least a medium size of stranding is helpful, especially if you have chosen to up-size your wiring (for example using AWG 10 on 20 amp circuits) for some reason (AWG 10 can fit the better wiring devices, but it's more difficult to work with and squeeze in a small box). Stranded seems to make better contact to screws, at least apparently so by visual inspection.
I plan to use stranded for all power wiring in my future home to be built, depending on how easily I can get it in AC/MC combo cable for AWG 12 and 10.
I still prefer solid for the center conductor of coax, but that's another whole thread :-)
Randell Tarin wrote:

Nope, none at all. Just as long as the terminal/lugs of the breaker are sized for #12.

I haven't wired a house in many a moon, but from what I've heard #14 is about gone. Pity, it's much easier to handle.