aluminum wire for buzz box extension cord

Got a question. I've got a 220 outlet in my garage run with 6 gauge wire for my Lincoln Electric buzz box. I'm a little nervous about fire when welding inside the garage.....one misplaced spark could be disastrous.

I've decided on making an extension cord instead of longer leads so that I will have the machine nearby for quicker setting changes on the welder. I want to go ahead an make a 50 foot extension cord. I've priced some 6 and 8 guage wire to make the extension cord with but wire that big is expensive. I've got about 75 feet of some 6 guage aluminum......two sheathed and one bare for ground.

Question is: how safe is it for me to use this aluminum wire? I"ve googled this and seen the issues like needing to use recepticles rated for aluminum wire and with the aluminum wire expanding and contracting. Would aluminum be ok for an occasional use extension cord?

Another question: What about the third wire being bare for the ground. Is it safe to not have sheath on the ground. The guy that gave me this wire had it tacked up in his barn to use with his buzz box. He's built a new shop by the barn and didn't need the wire anymore.

I don't want to try to fix one dangerous situation by creating another dangerous situation. But I also don't want to spend $100+ for some wire if it's not necessary. I hate to sound cheap but a $100 is hard to come by these days. But then again, I value my family's safety also.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Walker

Reply to
Walker

I'm not an electrician but AL doesn't bend well and I would think that it would be a bad choice for an extension cord. It could lead to hot spots in the cord which would be as bad as sparks. Buy some braided shield wire from eBay - will be resistant to shop damage. I don't know what gauge would be best. I would think at least 10 g.

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

Did I say 10g? Wrong.

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

I agree. Aluminum would probably be the worst choice for an extension cord. I've picked up some good coils of rubber jacketed stranded 6/3 copper at my local scrap place.

Reply to
ATP*

I'm not an electrician but AL doesn't bend well and I would think that it would be a bad choice for an extension cord. It could lead to hot spots in the cord which would be as bad as sparks.

Yep, your right this stuff doesn't bend very easily. But I don't see that as an issue because its coils easily. When I need to use it, uncoil it, and when I'm through coil it back up.

Well, Lincoln Electric documenation tells me to use a 50 amp breaker and that I can use 10 gauge wire for up to 100 feet and 8 gauge for runs over

100 feet. Problem I see this is that the wiring that I've seen lists 8 gauge rated up to 40 amps and 6 gauge wire up to 55 amps.

Walker

Reply to
Walker

That's a good idea. I go to the scrap yard from time to time but never thought about looking for heavy wiring like this.

Walker

Reply to
Walker

Indeed. I buy all my heavy gage 3ph wire at a local salvage yard in So. Cal.

Aluminum is a non starter.

I made up a welding extension cord out of 6 ga rubber coated (sow) and its about 150 feet long. Heavy bastard! but I can weld out in the back

40 without issues.

I think it cost me $50 for the cable.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Electrical code sez that if the circuit is to be used only for welding then the ampacity of the wire being used can be doubled. Theory is that not enough welding will occur to get the wire hot enough to burn down the house. You still might have a voltage drop problem but shouldn't hurt the buzz box. The bare gnd shouldn't be a problem, it doesn't normally carry any current. Al oxidizes easily and acts as an insulator. There is a paste that is used to inhibit oxidation at the connections. Understand your problem, copper is pushing $2.50 per lb these days-ridiculous/criminal

Reply to
glockdoc