Maximum Draw on a Household Circuit?

I'm no electrician so I thought I post a question. What's the maximum draw that can be connected to a standard household circuit? I have a 200amp panel and just installed a circuit with numerous outlets and a fluorescent light fixture on a 15amp breaker with 12/2 Romex. I put two duplex outlets together so I would have four connections in the basement, and then the wire was run to the garage to power the light as well as one duplex outlet. Just curious as I don't want to get in trouble. Thanks...

Reply to
Marc Miller

Define "standard". In the US, few 120V outlets are rated for more than

15A, though many circuits are rated for 20A. Circuits are rated by (and protected for) their wire size.

Why 15A?

What's the total draw? If it's less than 15A, you should be fine. THough I'd have run a seperate feed to the garage.

Reply to
keith

First of all, you could use a 20a breaker with 12/2.

120VAC 20 amp circuit per 500ft/^2 (Ref Table 220-3-b 1996 NEC) (Sorry. I don't have a current code book handy to give you a ref # from.)

120Vx .80 = 16 amps; 16a/1.5a per light/outlet allows you 10 devices max.

Reply to
Pete J. Ahacich

Reply to
PCK

There is no maximum number of receptacle or lighting outlets prescribed by code in the US NEC for residential occupancies. The 180 volt ampere rule applies only to non residential occupancies.

Reply to
HorneTD

|> 120VAC 20 amp circuit per 500ft/^2 (Ref Table 220-3-b 1996 NEC) (Sorry. |> I don't have a current code book handy to give you a ref # from.) |>

|> 120Vx .80 = 16 amps; 16a/1.5a per light/outlet allows you 10 devices max. |>

100% circuit loading is allowed for certain cases. Generally when the circuit supplies a single load only, and that load is normally expected to operate intermittently (such as a home electric central heat), running at 100% is safe. The 80% is otherwise a reasonable margin for the unexpected such as variations in manufacturing tolerance and diversity in unplanned loading.

In reality, you could run 30 amps on AWG 14 wire, and 40 amps on AWG 12 wire, or more, and not burn it up ... in most cases. The electrical code standards build in a good margin of safety to cover lots of variations that could all add up to turn a marginally safe situation into a very unsafe one.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Wall socket outlets are rated at 7.5 amps each for a total of 15 amps per wall outlet. At least that is what the imprint on some of mine says.

Al

Reply to
Al

Far as I know the UL standard for a 15A duplex receptacle is 15A per half and 20A total (if they are on a 20A circcuit). They are tested at

150% of rating.

Bud--

Reply to
Bud