How do you display all your completed models?

I've often wondered how (or more accurately, where) you folks display all the models you make. I've seen one or two photos of huge floor to ceiling glass cabinets where someone has stored hundreds of beautiful planes but I have to share my modest living space with SWMBO and a couple of kids who, for some reason don't appreciate the aesthetic pleasure of loads of planes taking up every bit of shelf space (not that I've got that many at the moment but you know what this hobby is like). How do the rest of you get around it? If some of the kit stashes I see ever got converted into completed models the increase in the number of house extensions being built would be tremendous!

Over 'n' out

Ron Headon Swindon, England

Reply to
Ron Headon

Ron, ever wondered where the phrase 'loft insulation' came from? I have a set amount of shelf space and when I build a new plane, if I want to put it on display, one of the old ones have to go! When I was in colder climes I would put them in sealed plastic boxes and store them in the loft space with the unbuilt stash, but now that I am in the Australian tropics they are now stored under the house, still in the same plastic sealed containers (with insect destroyers sprinkled round). I just write on the outside of the box the contents (aircraft, build date) and whenever the club puts on a theme display I can get in and find the right ones. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

When I buy a model I also buy a perspex(clear acrilic) display case to suit,or I buy a photo frame for a base and try to cut a perspex cover to suit. Once you have it made u can stack them.............lol,I also do own a few display cases ,like u have in stores,great for free standing dioramas.

Reply to
Arcusinoz

Never did find a way. Once the displays are full, the next kit that gets finished implies a death sentence for the least popular one in the displays.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

If you live in UK, I bought a display case from IKEA called, "Detolf". It cost £35 and doesn't take up much floor space...?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Observer

I have same problem. My wife does allow a few of the ship models upstairs in main part of house, but I had to press hard even for that. I also insisted on two race car models upstairs. All planes reside in rec room. So even with big two story house with basement I still struggle with places to display models. I have two really big sailing ship models that I am working on, and I know my wife will allow no more ship models upstairs.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

For those "few and far between" that *do* enter the 100% complete stage:

1) Most local hobby shops are glad to have them to display. I think I have more displayed in the "public eye", than I have here at home. 2) Some are lucky enough to be sold to collectors, at shows and exhibitions...thus allowing them to be seen by others, and in areas far removed from the local region of the country. And, most importantly, the responsibility of keeping them clean, and dusted, no longer lies with me!...lol. 3) Finished models make *excellent* Christmas gifts for family and relatives.

The point to all of this: Once one *does* finish a model; there are alternatives to worrying about how and where *you* are going to display it. You do not necessarily have to keep it. Other "artists" share/trade/sell their work....so why do modelers find that a difficult concept to adopt?

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

No conceptual problem. I just can't think of any place that would want to put up (with) my models.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Like I said....most hobby shops, worth their weight, usually *beg* for models to display. Also check your local libraries, VFW posts, military bases, recruiting offices, airports, etc. In our area, these places have a history of *pleading* for help in filling up their display cases. And by giving your model(s) a public viewing (along with literature promoting the hobby, and your local groups), *everyone* wins.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I keep mine in small plastic cases on shelves and in the entertainment center behind glass doors. used to just display them uncovered on shelves but dust is your enemy.

Reply to
Shawn

I have combined my second hobby, woodworking, with model building. I have designed and built enclosed display cases for my models that protect them from dust but more importantly from the index fingers of friends and guest that invariably test to see if the props turn. Pics are posted on ABMS. Pete

Reply to
The Laws

I might try that one day (just moved to a new house, which gives me sufficient room to postpone the entire issue by several years at least).

Your neighbourhood is obviously different, but:

Never say a display case there in my life.

No such critter in The Netherlands.

Not the most accessible places in history, and I expect to get a very blank stare from whoever is at the gate should I go to enquire. I suspect they'd be mostly interested in their own current or historic hardware in any case, and I rarely build anything that would qualify.

Same subject issues as with the bases, but I might be able to slip something past them. Assuming they have displays of this kind to begin with.

I don't recall seeing display cases there either, but I'll take a peek when the time comes.

There's also a museum just round the corner, but again, this suffers from a subject mismatch.

You totally lucky character.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

didnt see any pics, could you repost them at ABMS?

Reply to
Shawn

I have about 50 finished models and because they are 1/72 aircraft, they don't take up that much room. Nevertheless, I have three display cases. One, a converted wardrobe, is allowed in the "office" because it is quite reasonable in appearance (i.e. antique, high quaility wood, nicely finished). This one was a gift from my brother. I had to vanish it and get some glass selves and door inserts. This stores my newer, "better" models. The two other display cases (not as nice looking), are in the garage and contain my older models.

I don't know what I'll do when they are filled.

Reply to
Ultan Rooney

Rob,

Somewhere on this machine I have a couple of pics of a big civil aircraft display at Schipol Airport. I don't know if they are still there. I know, wrong country, but it's close.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Actually, for me that's exactly the right country. Now, all I have to do is develop a liking for airliners. I think Phantoms would be a bit out of character for that display :-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott III

Well I have to say there's some real food for thought there. A couple of posts which particularly caught my eye were the ones which basically said that you have an allotted amount of shelf space and once that's full and you complete another model one of the old ones has to make way for the new one. I'd always had the feeling that once you'd put all that work into it you just wouldn't want to throw it away but I guess we have to be practical about these things. The greater part of the fun in the hobby seems to be the actual modelling itself rather than keeping them on display forever. After all, gardeners have to put up with their plants having a limited lifespan and they don't seem to complain. It's certainly helped me to look at it in a different light so for that I'm grateful. I knew if I asked the question I'd get some good quality answers.

Thanks again

Ron Headon Swindon, England

Reply to
Ron Headon

And that is a great attitude to have. You are correct, in my personal case, that the *fun* is in the *building* of models. That is why I have no problem with giving them away, or (preferably) selling them, or putting them on "permanent loan" to hobby shops, etc.

Remember, most of the old "classic painters" had no problem with painting

*over* earlier works.
Reply to
Greg Heilers

Gasp!! You mean we have to FINISH them? What is the world coming to?

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell