LCD display repair?

Backlit Hitachi monochrome LCD display has dark horizontal lines obscuring much of the displayed text.
I understand that frequently this is due to poor contact between the
printed(?) contacts on the display glass and the conductive rubber(?) connection blocks.
Is this something that can be repaired? Disassembled & cleaned?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net

Yup, clean with alcohol and put it back together YMMV.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sod it. Drink the alcohol and have a party. Put off reality until a later date...
--
Adrian C

DaveC wrote:

Well, that's one possibility - or simply dead drivers.
Either way, it's unlikely to be easily repairable.
Bob M.
DaveC wrote:

Sometimes a gentle nudge of a zebra connector will clear this sort of thing up, and I often see an opening that's just right for reaching the zebra connector. It's worth a try. Be gentle; it doesn't take much t move a zebra connector.
--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/

On a typical LCD matrix display like this how many zebras are there? One along one end for horizontal control lines and one along the top edge for vertical control lines? Or are the control lines (the ones on the glass) all brought out to one location?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net

The (few) ones i have seen they are top and bottom edges. No clue as to what is on the various positions. .
I just took a close peek at the connections. There are no zebra connections. This has a small pc flex cable soldered to the PCB with the other end laid against the printed traces on the glass. A silicon rubber block puts pressure on the back of the cable which forces contact between the traces and the cable.
Probably the block has shrunk with age and temperature and/or dirt came between the connections. I'll dis/reassemble everything today and see what works or doesn't...
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@bogusdomain.net
No joy. Symptoms unchanged.
I suspect it might be a failed driver. Not willing to go that far in diagnosis. A new one is US$150.
FYI,