How to test an LCD display?

Hi All,
I salvaged an lcd display (2 lines 40 ch) from an IBM printer.
I hooked it up to my newly bought OOpic2 (I'm a newbie at the oopic)
and it didn't do anything.
I used the oLCD object. Dim LCD As New oLCD Sub Main() LCD.IOGroup = 3 ' Set up the I/O tro use LCD.Nibble = 0 LCD.IOLineRS = 17 LCD.IOLineE = 18 LCD.Operate = 1 ' Turn on the LCD Object LCD.Init ' Initialize the LCD Module. LCD.Clear ' Clear the screen. LCD.Locate(0,1) ' Locate first row, 2nd column. LCD.String = "Hello There" ' Print "Hello There" on LCD. End Sub
Is there a simple way to test the lcd without the oopic, just to be sure it's still working?
Any suggestions/hints/howto's/tutorials about using the OOpic from you experienced users out there? I have the book from OOpic (progamming and customizing the oopic) But any help will be highly appreciated...
Kind regards, Gerry.

[snip...snip...]
That line is probably where the problem is. Character LCDs display are pretty easy to work with but they are particular about getting a correct initialization sequence. If you can, use a logic analyzer or o-scope and find out exactly what's happening during the LCD.Init event and compare that to what the datasheet specifies. Absent that, it's all guesswork.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

First of all you must look at your display and find out :
1. Who is the manufactor and what do they call the displaymodel
2. Find out what kind of controller is used on the LCD Hitachi HD44780 was very popular some year's ago The HD44780 can be used in eighter 4bit or 8bit PARALLEL mode
3. Find out if your OOpic (compiler\mpu??) support the protocol the controller on your LCD uses.
... well this is just the start, if it is a HD44780 controller on your LCD and you manage to get PARTS OF the dislplay (but not whole) to act as u want : You have to read aboat how the "Charactermaping" is organized inside the HD44780 (THE SAME "HD44780" controller is use for 1x8 up to 4x40 lin\char LCD's ...or God knows what :-)
....but on the other hand : your LCD may only need a simple SERIAL input ....i don't know
reg A.P.
perhaps this may help http://web7days.com/1U
--
mcu development team