looking for small VGA LCD monitor display, around 8" - 10"

Hello again to the most helpful newsgroup I've ever seen.
My robot is mini-book based ( full x86 computer ) so I'm looking for a
fairly small VGA LCD monitor display, say 8" to 10", that connects to the standard monitor connection. I've been Googling like crazy for something suitable but keep coming up with miniature DVD players and other 2x64 character type LCD displays.
I guess what I am looking for is basically a small laptop display sans laptop.
If anyone is aware of a particular product ( or search term ) I would appreciate it.
pogo wrote:

Search Google and eBay for hami lcd.

Good tip! I found some on eBay. What are the typical power requirements for these ? (I have same question in to a seller ... )

If you are in the US , look at earthlcd.com anywhere else the shipping costs are extremely excessive
Alex

Another great tip! Am looking there right now. Also found www.Simmetry.com on eBay. Thanks !
Some good tips so far; here's another: search for the terms caruter, lilliput, ands phylon. The latter two are makers of LCD VGA-ready video panels, sold by several of the mini-ITX retailers (Logic Supply, etc.) so you should be able to compare prices.
Note: Many of these units are touch screens. This is not a bad thing for a small robot. In fact, it's a terrific thing -- toss the keyboard after you're done programming. The touch screen interface works via USB, and most come with drivers for creating your own touch-enabled programs.
Don't overlook the DVD players with small screens. I just bought one from Fry's last night for $249, which is what many of the screens go for alone. Do note that most of these only have composite input. Fortunately, many mini-ITX boards have s-video and composite RCA video outputs.
-- Gordon
pogo wrote:

Gordon McComb wrote:

Make that carputer, as in "car computer."
-- Gordon
Gordon McComb wrote:

It is also possible to modify the small portable Playstation 1 screens to accept a signal from a VGA card. It requires some tweaking of the card sync and refresh, but it's definitely a cheap and low-power option.

Just won an 8'' VGA TFT LCD MONITOR With USB Touch Screen on eBay ! It is a Innovatek TM-868 8'' VGA & RCA TFT LCD MONITOR With USB Touch Screen Panel. The comments on this thread led me to finding the auction. Here's a link to their website showing the same item: http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/IN-740VT.htm
The cheapest LCD monitor with VGA input I found is 8" TFT LCD car monitor with TV Tuner for $129 at: <http://www.translinks.com/TL8006t.htm . Make sure 1440 x 234 resolution will work with your application.
Paul.

But is says:
VGA input for PC, resolution 640 x 480
what use is such a low res?
Sig: "Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right." -Henry Ford
Rotes Sapiens wrote:

Think dots per inch, not resolution. An 8" LCD is a quarter of the area of a traditional desktop display. If you were to show a 1024x768 (for example) image on one, things would be tiny.
An 8" screen is about 6.5" wide, give or take. That's 98 pixels per inch. A 17" monitor is roughly 13" wide. Assuming a 1024x768 display, that's 78 pixels per inch. At 1280x1024 you'd have 98 pixels per inch, the same as the 8" display at 640x480.
-- Gordon
Rotes Sapiens wrote:

There was a time when that was the only resolution that a commonplace PC _had_.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Have any experience using it with Linux? I'm especially curious about touchscreen support. I could use several of these if they are Open.
(I still haven't gotten the touchscreen on my Toughbook working so I'm extra cautious about them.)
Thank you.
--kyler
Kyler Laird wrote:

From my reading, depending on your distro you may have your work cut out for you. Try mp3car.com. You'll find a section on their forum for Linux hacks, and a couple of posters have provided some tips on getting the USB drivers to work.
-- Gordon

Screen
For those of you wondering, I am still waiting on shipment of this item. I will post any interesting details I discover once it arrives.
( I hate it when you're forced to pay for "2 day shipping" only to have it shipped over a week after payment, and then take 5 days! Grrrrr. )

Item came in today. (January 9, 2006. I paid on Dec 29.2005.) Seems to be a good product, but the cable that comes with it is a little kludgey looking. If anyone would like I will post a linke to a photo of the item(s) later on ...