Source for LCD monitor?

Hey guys I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC. I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat panel with RCA video input. Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color. Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input. I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.
Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something suitable to sell?
Post here or email me directly.
thanks Rex

I'm not familiar with your machine. Having said that, I had a 5 axis waterjet cell built around an AB8400B control that the terminal's CRT went dead. It had a 50-75 ohm video input. A cheap monitor for a security camera I bought from Sam's club back around 1999 or so got me back up and running.
Just a thought.
Wes

Every LCD TV I've seen has RCA input. Why don't you hit Craig's List in your area?
Karl

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=MON
They often have 19" LCD for about $99.99 and a 15" for $74.99. I have bought lots of stuff from them over the years. Last purchase I bought 2 digital cameras 8MP for under $60. at Christmas time. No problems.
Richard W.

Lots of "dual screen" portable DVD players for automotive use. The second screen would do just fine for RCA input, 7 - 10 inch diaganol screen.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That sounds about perfect. 10". I did not know if those had RCA inputs or not. I'll take a look.
RB wrote:

Backup (automobile) camera / display system? in-car video? Portable DVD player? Shop around, prob'ly less than 50 bucks if you don't need large.. /mark
The small TV/DVD screens of LCD displays are commonly wide screens, so you may lose the height you're accustomed to.
The 4:3 aspect ratio was the (RCA input) TV/VCR, CCTV and video camera/monitor standard for decades, but movies are typically displayed in letterbox or wide formats, so new LCD monitors intended for movie displays have gone to the wide format.
The screen height on widescreen displays is shorter for given size, since they are measured diagonally.
I bought a couple of wide 7" LCDs (for about $70 each) and they fill the width of the screen (slightly stretched width-wise) instead of cropping the sides with black. I think a 5" 4:3 display would look about the same size for a composite video input.
Other wide monitors may display the RCA input 4:3 input differently. If the width is stretched to fill the screen, it may be annoying to look at, particularly for text.
--
WB
metalworking projects
Wild_Bill wrote:

Good point, had not considered that.
Thanks
Wild_Bill wrote:

You know, I have an old Toshiba notebook computer that mostly works....
RB wrote:

How much time & money do you want to spend to try to convert NTSC to a proprietary interface? This comes up quite often on the electronics newsgroups.
--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Not much of either. There was a time I'd have tinkered with this, but no longer have the patience for it.
RB wrote:

Can you use the laptop as a terminal to control your CNC? Lots of free terminal software out there, like Terra Term.
--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I considered that, but it's become a bit flakey from age and storage. I'll take a look at Terra Term though, thanks

    [ ... ]

    IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single 'r') Might make a difference in a web search for it.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'. I used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years ago.
--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

'r')
ago.
I didn't catch which OS you're running on the laptop, but if it's winblows... Hyperterm works fine as a basic rs232 terminal. I think I recall it's either an ADM3A or vt100 emulation.
It comes free with every windows version at least up to XP, and is found under Accessories:Communications
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Yep, I've used Hyperterm, and also terminal. currently using Procomm on this box.
I'm sure I still have a DOS version of Procomm.
But a terminal emulator won't solve my need here. the comuter is a basic (Z80?) unit built in to the lathe chassis. You program it with a keyboard on the back panel. Simple text display, press 'Run'. So I need a simple monitor, not a terminal emulator.

So? You use it. It won't do any "terminal emulation stuff" unless the received stream contains control sequences to do cursor positions, clear screens, etc.
Otherwise, it's just a dumb glass teletype.
I use it all the time for just that. I have a Z80 box I built that runs a dipping machine. It talks "dumb teletype", and Hyperterm works just fine with it.
Remember, EVEN an old ASR-33 teletype responded to certain control sequences. There never really has been anything you could call "just a simple monitor" -- it's how they are used that determines that.
LLoyd
Some early home computer monitors were completely dumb, as they only had a composite video input. So the only signals over a single coaxial 75 ohm cable were the sync signals and the video information.
Maybe early Apple, that Shack store and Commodore monitors were plain composite video. The output cable from those early home computers ould be connected to a Video In RCA jack on a TV that had the connector, or a video-only (no TV tuner) monitor.
Some of the B&W/mono, green or amber CRT dumb terminals were capable of displaying composite video signals if the user knew which pins in the signal cable (DB-9 or other) to use for the plain video signal. IIRC, the sync leads needed to be tied to the video signal and attached to a RCA connector. The only place I can remember that had the pins/signals info is the excellent science.electronics.repair FAQ.
None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a small LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor. If he had one of the old CRT monitors, they might suffice until he locates an LCD, but I would assume that most of the old CRT displays are likely to be faulty by now.
--
WB
metalworking projects