Source for LCD monitor?

RB wrote in news:gr5373$1im$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp.motzarella.org:

It's burried in the post above. RCA brand, model DRC6338. Might be a Canada specific model. Eight inch wide screen so may be smaller than what you want.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

Not much of either. There was a time I'd have tinkered with this, but no longer have the patience for it.

Reply to
RB

Can you use the laptop as a terminal to control your CNC? Lots of free terminal software out there, like Terra Term.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I considered that, but it's become a bit flakey from age and storage. I'll take a look at Terra Term though, thanks

Reply to
RB
[ ... ]

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single 'r') Might make a difference in a web search for it.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'. I used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years ago.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:5sKdnQwzls5cLUHUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I didn't catch which OS you're running on the laptop, but if it's winblows... Hyperterm works fine as a basic rs232 terminal. I think I recall it's either an ADM3A or vt100 emulation.

It comes free with every windows version at least up to XP, and is found under Accessories:Communications

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yep, I've used Hyperterm, and also terminal. currently using Procomm on this box.

I'm sure I still have a DOS version of Procomm.

But a terminal emulator won't solve my need here. the comuter is a basic (Z80?) unit built in to the lathe chassis. You program it with a keyboard on the back panel. Simple text display, press 'Run'. So I need a simple monitor, not a terminal emulator.

Reply to
RB

Probably because it is fairly common to misspell it to match the Latin name of our planet. :-)

O.K. I set up a friend with it quite a few years ago so he could access my systems via ssh from a Windows box.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

RB fired this volley in news:grit84$ujr$1 @nntp.motzarella.org:

So? You use it. It won't do any "terminal emulation stuff" unless the received stream contains control sequences to do cursor positions, clear screens, etc.

Otherwise, it's just a dumb glass teletype.

I use it all the time for just that. I have a Z80 box I built that runs a dipping machine. It talks "dumb teletype", and Hyperterm works just fine with it.

Remember, EVEN an old ASR-33 teletype responded to certain control sequences. There never really has been anything you could call "just a simple monitor" -- it's how they are used that determines that.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Some early home computer monitors were completely dumb, as they only had a composite video input. So the only signals over a single coaxial 75 ohm cable were the sync signals and the video information.

Maybe early Apple, that Shack store and Commodore monitors were plain composite video. The output cable from those early home computers ould be connected to a Video In RCA jack on a TV that had the connector, or a video-only (no TV tuner) monitor.

Some of the B&W/mono, green or amber CRT dumb terminals were capable of displaying composite video signals if the user knew which pins in the signal cable (DB-9 or other) to use for the plain video signal. IIRC, the sync leads needed to be tied to the video signal and attached to a RCA connector. The only place I can remember that had the pins/signals info is the excellent science.electronics.repair FAQ.

None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a small LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor. If he had one of the old CRT monitors, they might suffice until he locates an LCD, but I would assume that most of the old CRT displays are likely to be faulty by now.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"Wild_Bill" fired this volley in news:PwbDl.150898$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-07.dc.easynews.com:

yeah, I read that. But the rest of the thread and the OP's responses seemed to indicate a mis-use of the term "monitor" to mean a dumb glass teletype with an LCD screen.

If he just wants a monitor, why hell, he can buy any one of the cheap LCD "HD" format TVs with VGA input or low-end LCD computer monitors, and one of several "sync and luminance to VGA or composite" converters or kits of same. It's not necessarily a "pretty" solution, but cheap and workable.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Well ... that depends. There are monitors which are just plain video input on a coax connector -- TV style monitors, not computer monitors. I have a small CNC lathe (Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC) which has both a serial port (which can be connected to a computer, a terminal, or a paper tape punch and reader), and a video connection which can be only connected to a plain video monitor -- *not* a computer monitor.

And only the video port on that machine is useful for seeing what the programs current state is, and for editing the program. The serial port is designed only for saving programs (the alternative is a strange tiny cassette tape drive) or for loading saved programs -- not for interaction with a terminal. This either a computer (running the right program) or the paper tape punch and reader are the things which make sense to connect to this port.

And (FWIW), it has a 6502 as the CPU -- about the same vintage as the Z80. :-)

Now -- there are LCD monitors which can either do some resolutions of computer interface, or be connected to a coax video feed. I've seen them in the local bank, connected to a switch which automatically cycles through all of the cameras in the bank. (This is a new branch, which is probably why it has the LCD monitors instead of the old CRT ones. I wrote down the model number and maker (I could get to the back to get these) and then looked them up on the web when I got home. The maximum resolution was not high enough to make it attractive for use with my computer, otherwise I would have gotten one to switch between the computer and a camera which I plan to set up to watch the front door. (Oh yes -- also the price was significantly higher than I would have liked -- probably because it was being sold as a "security system monitor". :-)

A small LCD TV would have given the same functionality -- and been a lot more affordable. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

Not all. I have a Commodore color one, and a smaller B&W which is currently connected to my Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC (which needs plain video, not a computer monitor). The Commodore monitor came from a hamfest -- free a few years ago. The little B&W monitor from freecycle (not sure how widespread that is -- a system which allows people to offer things locally free for pickup instead of having to discard them totally.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I meant that none of my comments (not others'), WRT old CRT monitors, were pertinent to his inquiry.

There don't seem to be a lot of cheap (depending upon one's definition) new LCD TVs, PC or just composite monitors.. not that I've seen (except used ones and ones that are dead).

I've been looking at local stores and on eBay, for a small (10-12" or 15") LCD composite video input monitor or a dual-purpose video/PC LCD, but not a widescreen (so the composite video doesn't get stretched) and they aren't plentiful in my experience, or they cost as much as the larger widescreen models ($200+).

I haven't used any of the scan converters, mainly because I'd have to buy them just to find out if they produced a good image with no stretching or shrinking involved.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I had to use Tera Term because hyperterm was so flaky. There were multiple versions in different versions of windows, and the included version is incomplete. Our IT department tested a lot of terminal programs to let people use the PC on their desk access the mainframe. Hyperterm was among the worst. Tera Term was the most reliable. We went through at least half a dozen terminal programs in the test department before choosing the same program.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That, and the fact that I hadn't used it since 2000. :(

I used it, till we finally got the programmers off their lazy asses long enough to finish writing the software to program the boards through their BDM ports. That took it from a full day of using four different methods, to under five minutes per board.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's exactly what I have, and it appears to be the original equipment on this Emco 5 CNC lathe

This one works fine, but it looks cheap and clunky perched atop the control panel. I just want to modernize it and reduce the top-heaviness of the machine.

I guess the ideal would be one of those motorized LCDs that come in car stereos now ;) hmmmm.

Reply to
RB

In fact, that is exactly what I'm looking for. And for the same machine Don Nichols has - Emco 5 CNC

Reply to
RB