Bright stripe on LCD display

This is a ~ 4 year old HP Pavilion laptop with LCD display.
There is a bright vertical area on the left end of the display that is
incongruous with the rest of the display. It is only on the left end.
http://imagebin.org/265633
This image also shows the lighter central area of the display which is an artifact of just viewing it on-center (or nearly). This phenomenon can be ignored.
Is the stripe due to LCD problem? Or...?
Thanks.
On 26/07/2013 07:27, DaveC wrote:

It is such a terrible photograph that it looks mostly like a reflection of something white you left on your desk off bottom right. It doesn't look abrupt enough to be an LCD connection defect which tends to give very sharp linear errors on bit/byte/word boundaries.
Looks to me more like a physical fault with the backlighting optics. An impression heightened by a dark ridge to the RHS of the brighter patch.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I would agree ! Probably a defect in the backlight tube/tubes.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

I've seen dark bands before (burnt out tube) but never a bright band. I suppose all but one could be dimmed...
Thanks, Dave
DaveC Inscribed thus:

The tubes blacken at one end more than the other, so the brightness gets turned up to compensate causing a bright area at one side. Double tube displays do the same but because one tube is at the top and the other at the bottom the bright area tends to be towards one corner.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

So replacing tubes should resolve issue?
Thanks.

I have a 32" Viewsonic from the early 2k years. It has a streak of altered color that appears almost exactly as yours. It has to do with the sheet the backlight has in front of it. If it changes the way light diffuses through it, then said lighting will no longer be homogenous across the entire surface, and the coloration of that area gets affected.
I looked at mine again after it sat for a couple years, and it looked like it had healed. But a few hours later, it slowly returned. Which makes me think that the LCD panel itself may have suffered some kind of incursion or temp based morph that did not get carried evenly across the panel surface.
I guess we will not find out until an LED backlit display gets affected and we get to see any differences.