HP 23" L2335 display opinions?

I want to change my monitor soon, and I wonder if any of you are using this 23" screen from HP. I was considering the new Apple 23, but this appears to be the same screen, but with more inputs. That is good for me as I currently have 2 PCs connected to 1 monitor. The HP is also about 6-700 CHF cheaper than the apple display (which I much prefer for the design and minimal base support... but in CH it is expensive vs the USA).

So, anyone using this HP display and have an opinion (of course you do!) on the quality of the image and how sexy it is with SolidWorks?

Thanks! Daniel

Reply to
daniel

Daniel,

In my opinion, the main thing to look for in an LCD screen is "response time". Most (if not all) LCD's over 20" have a response time of 25 > micro seconds. This is OK for 2D stuff, but you'll get "ghosting" when you rotate

3D objects. This doesn't bother some people, but it bugs the hell out of me. I think Phillips makes a 22" 16ms panel, I just haven't seen them incorporated into product yet. Probably too expensive.

I just bought a 20" Viewsonic with a 16ms response time,,, no ghosting. It has the exact same viewing area as a 21" CRT.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Daniel,

Just checked the HP site. That model uses the big Phillips 16ms panel.

Very nice, if you can afford it ($1600.00 US)

If you get it, please post here with some feedback.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Hi Daniel,

I have an hp 2035 (the 20.1" version of the hp 2XXX series).

I use it with SolidWorks 2004 (SP4.1) every day and WOULD NOT GO BACK to a CRT if you gave me one for free! The response time is great (16mS) and the color accuracy, even light distribution, and 1600x1200 resolution and 32 bit color (via DVI cable from an NVIDIA Quadro FX1100 on an hp xw4100) is just awesome, really.

I often find myself rotating objects due to the beauty of the technology! And even after 12 or more hours straight, my eyes are definitely not as fatigued as with my 3 year old Dell 19" CRT monitor.

I would recommend at least the hp 2035 display, and I am sure the 23" version would have to be similar if not the same. Do a comparison of the tech specs to be sure. They look close to me, except for the aspect ratio. The pixel size is a little tiny bit bigger on the 23" version (0.258 vs

0.255 for the hp 2035), I would think you would never notice the 0.003mm per pixel difference! Although at 1920 x 1200 pixels that is about 5.76mm x 3.6mm ... getting late now... can't stop engineering... help...

Good luck,

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, 16ms is essential and it does have that. Also, the wide format should be fantastic with the feature manager. I have the FX1000, so that will be fine with this unit.

Eyestrain is also part of my logic. My eyes have been bothering me all summer, and I am thinking it has to do with the number of hours I spend looking at my various monitors. For my eyesight the price worth it.

Cheers Daniel

Reply to
daniel

I had this monitor for 1 month, whilst my one was being repaired. the only problem I had with the wide screen, was that a cube 100mm square, looked kinda strange, due to the screen aspect ratio. Apart from this, it was a great screen, but I like my 21" "basic" monitor better, so was very glad to get it back. Flat screens are not quite there yet, specially when playing Unreal tournament 2004, Draggy on fast moving graphics. But don't mention this to my boss, he thinks I am working, lol.

Reply to
pete

Are you sure you weren't running it at 1600x1200 instead of 1920x1200? That would cause the aspect ratio problem.

Reply to
Denny Trimble

Pete

Are you saying that it was streaching it? That is not what i expected - I get that on my wide screen TV, but I thought for computer monitors they simply gave more realestate. Are you sure you had the correct resolution setting? Could have simply been that you were using you normal monitor setting.

Daniel

Reply to
daniel

I tried this at all resolutions, I even rang HP, but it still would not display a realistic view as a "Normal squarish" monitor would, except, by having black bars down each side. Maybe the monitor was faulty?? Try it and see, before buying.

Reply to
pete

"pete" wrote in news:cicuuo$1fg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.freedomsurf.net:

Just out of curiosity, did you get this effect even at wide aspect ratio resolutions (eg 1900 x 1200)?

Reply to
Dale Dunn