Foredom grinder vs knockoff

I'm considering getting something with more oomph than a Dremel, that doesn't slow down when you put pressure on something you're working on. I'd prefer something portable like the Foredom rather than a flex shaft for my drill press.

This is strictly for occasional hobby use, not for daily commercial operation, but I don't like using junk that's going to break either.

I haven't done any real shopping yet other than to note that Harbor Freight had a flexible shaft rotary grinder that looks like a Foredom grinder. Anybody have one of these and can give me your impressions?

Do you notice much difference in power when using an 1/8th HP Foredom vs the 1/4 HP models?

I recall that there are attachment handles for Foredom tools, like handles for checkering gunstocks, and other things like that, that I assume are interchangeable with all Foredom tools.

Do the knockoffs accept Foredom accessories (not sure what to call these - accessory handles?) or do you have to get a real Foredom grinder to use the accessories?

What should I expect to pay for a Foredom vs a knockoff?

Any other considerations that I haven't asked about?

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

You can spend the money and get the real deal that will last probably longer than you will, or cheap out and get a POS.

Your choice.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have been very happy with a 1/4 inch electric die grinder from Makita. It has held up well in moderate use. It looks like an oversize Dremel, but much more powerful. I have never slowed it down noticably. I have a 1/8 inch collet for it, but I have not used it. I generally use carbide burs with it, will really remove some metal. This is an alternative to a Foredom or equivalent, probably less money, takes up less space in the shop.

Richard

RWL wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Steve was right - look at machines in the class "electric die grinders".

Also you might consider the Rotozip rotary drill-saw. It takes 1/4 and smaller collets and has a lot of power. It works nicely with an inexpensive AC speed controller.

There are some small edge finishing machines for formica counters that look like small routers - and of course take 1/4 shanks. These tend to be pretty powerful, too.

But if you need the flexible shaft, it's hard to beat the foredom. It's not a high speed grinder, but it has the torque.

-Dion

Reply to
doon41

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:29:54 -0500, the inscrutable RWL spake:

All of them do slow down, but the Foredoms and knockoffs do less so. Power is about halfway between the Dremel and a full-sized electric die grinder, maybe a bit less. I picked up one of the little $8 chiwanese knockoffs last week and it's surprisingly powerful for its size, but only with a 1/8" diameter or smaller tool on it.

I have one and haven't used it very much, but it feels OK. I haven't tried a Foredom (too many people in line ahead of me at the shows) but know they'd feel a bit better because of the price difference. I have a feeling that I'll be using it for power deburring in the very near future.

What the Foredom and HF knockoff are NOT is a die grinder. I have both electric and pneumatic die grinders which have a hell of a lot more power than the flex shaft models.

Not that I know of, but I haven't checked in depth.

The HF was $50 out the door, about a quarter os what Foredom wants. That was good enough for me to give it a trial, and I'm happy. I'm also extremely frugal.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All you probably have to do is buy a Foredom handpiece.

[...]

Hmmm, I bought one of the knockoffs, grey, flex shaft, 1/8th" drill bit. I bought a Foredom handpiece for 1/4" bits and it works great. Foredom cables can be used for replacing the flex shaft if you break it.

Reply to
Alex H. Sallwey

I got tired of wearing dremels out and bought a dumore with a 5/32 jacobs chuck , Around 220$ US. The downside is coarser abrasives come on 1/4" shanks. The plus side is that it has outlasted everything else and will fit all of the "surplus" dental bits. By outlast, I mean 10 years commercial use with no problem. A brand new one sits in a box just in case. My next choice would be a Metabo brand die grinder that can collet 1/4" shafts

Reply to
bamboo