Rockwell Toolmaker Grinder Yahoogroup

I set up a new Yahoogroup for the Rockwell Delta Milwaukee Toolmaker Grinder:

Just another resource specific to this little grinder. Would like to see folks post on how they aquired them, what they use them for, what they have done to them and what sorts of accessories they've got for them.

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

One word of advice about setting up a group. Unmoderated. Otherwise forget about it. Good luck.

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe wrote in news:%QGKk.3922$ZP4.232 @nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

I run several no problems, I restrict membership to keep the spammers out. All my groups have run quite well. Thanks! Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

I have a PDF of a photocopy of it but lost the link, and dialup is clogged down to 28K here today. The original file name is [Rockwell-24-105-OperatingInstructions.pdf]. It's correct for my 1960 model of the grinder which wasn't the last or best.

The essentials: Saybolt 60 spindle oil. Use the front head pivot screw to take up all play. The rear one is eccentric and tilts the wheel Remove spindle end play with screw B, make sure spindle turns freely, tighten locknut A. Whatever??. The PDF photocopy is blurry and my grinder is missing the brass plate showing spindle construction. SAE10 is good for the table oil cups. Remove table weekly for cleaning by removing the stop screw holder. It takes a 5" x 10" mag chuck. "Although this machine is primarily a surface grinder, some limited work can be done on it with cup wheels." There is a short explanation of dressing the wheel but nothing on grinding. The various Lindsay toolmaking books helped a lot with the geometries.

I learned surface grinding on a B&S #2 in night school. It only takes a few minutes to learn to use one but I think it's worth the trouble to have someone show you. The wheels self-destruct quite violently if abused, as the next student on the machine loudly demonstrated. Mine was used for production, worn out and dumped out behind the plant. I got it for $50 plus $50 for the chuck. When disassembled, only the base casting needs two people to lift. The owner said it would take up to 0.005" per pass, possibly due to give in the worn head pivots. I haven't pushed it past 0.002".

For the rest of you, these things are manual surface grinder X-Y bases with large swiveling Quorn style heads, with flexibility for tool grinding and the relative looseness and less than mirror finish that goes with it. Since I don't want to regrind the chuck I leave it on and set up tool grinding fixtures including the swivel table on top of it, meaning it has no advantage over a normal surface grinder. So far I've been able to do almost everything with the 7" surface grinding wheel on the top surface of the tool and haven't swiveled the head for clearance with a dish or cup wheel.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Found it.

This one has a direct head lift and metal ways. IIRC the later model has a more convenient right-angle lift and Teflon ways.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I found something else. The patent on the swivel table is for the entire machine and is VERY informative. It even shows how to grind various types of cutters. Go to

look up 2429250. Quicktime handled the tiff format fine.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You can look it up with Google Patent too:

If you go to this page, there is a link along the left to get all of it as a pdf file.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I tried emailing you Gunner, samo story, must toss my email in the bit bucket! Hope you are well my friend! Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Thanks, that works better. The Toolmaker grinder itself is 2,386,283. The patents describe the designers' intent for almost every part and feature. If you can wade through the patent language ("depends" means hangs down, for example) they contain some very useful information about how to use the machines.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins