Smith-Drum Extension-Gap lathe manual wanted

Hi,

I saw a port from ~2 years ago on this forum from somebody ("K Smith") who appears to have a manual for the Smith-Drum Extension-Gap lathe. I would really like to get a copy of this manual (or borrow, scan, then return the manual and make it public).

Can anybody point my in the right direction?

Thanks! Ian.

Reply to
irox

replying to irox, irox wrote: Here's the original post that led me to this forum:

irox

replying to irox, irox wrote: Answering my own question. I seems that the Smith Drum Extension Gap lathe was nearly identical to the Fay & Scott extension gap lathe. I would guess that Fay & Scott made them first, when they couldn't meet demand during WWII the government contracted another company to make more from the same design. Of course, it could have been Smith Drum's design give/sold to a bigger company which could meet demand. They even have similar (the same?) model numbers.

Anyway, here is the "War department Maintenance Manual and Parts Catalog, Lath, Engine Extension Gap Electric Motor powered Model HK 14" - 28" Fay and Scott" from 1943:

Hope that helps some folks with their Smith Drum Lathes!

[...]

Looks like a nice machine. The only complaint that I have from a first look through is that the spindle bore is just a little too small to accept a drawtube for a 5C collet -- and the MT-4 taper is just too small, too.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Pages 8 and 9 are missing!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

replying to Larry Jaques, irox wrote: Yeah, I noticed the missing pages, and they are lube procedure pages I was wanting the most. Also, taking a closer look at the parts and comparing them to my Smith Drum HK145, there looks like some differences in the head stock gearing set up.

I'm working on getting another version which is Smith Drum specific. I'll post here once I get it.

For what I'm wanting to do, MT-4 will be fine. Although it would be nice if it was big enough so I could use an R8 adapter.

Thanks, Ian.

Reply to
irox

Usually lathe collets and drawbars are hollow to accept long rod stock.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

replying to irox, irox wrote: Ok, I've finally tracked down a copy of the Smith Drum Lathe manual, scanned it, and uploaded it to vintagemachinery.org:

Hope that helps out all the Smith Drum Lathe owners who are without a manual.

Cheers! Ian.

Reply to
irox