Old Smith Drum Sliding Bed metal lathe help

Smith Drum sliding bed HK 808. I took this lathe as payment, don't know a lot about it but want to learn. The tail stock doesn't advance or retract, you can
spin the hand wheel all day and nothing. Does anyone have a parts breakdown of whats suppose to be in the tail stock. I know I'm missing some parts. I just don't know which ones. The carriage engages sometime and sometimes it doesn't. When it does its moving it toward the chuck, I cant figure out how to get it moving the opposite way. I need a manual or a copy of one or a old machinist that lives close.
replying to Randy, irox wrote: I've tracked down a copy of the Smith Drum Lathe manual, scanned it, and uploaded it to vintagemachinery.org: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id 047
Hoping to have the parts manual (with diagrams) in the next few weeks.
HTHs, Ian.