Finishes on aluminum

Awl --

I'm not quite ready for anodizing (not quite enough quantity for economy), and am wondering what other finishes can be placed on aluminum in a shop, without sending it out.

In particular, are there any rouge-type materials that can be polished

*into* aluminum that will help protect it, heighten any luster, etc.

I would hope to be able load scotchbrite with a rouge-type material, and polish. I would like to avoid, for now, any lacquering/spraying.

Along these lines, there is a tumbling process by a company in Westchester, NY with hyooge circular vibratory tumblers, and a (I think) proprietary additive that gives a zinc/galvanized type finish to aluminum.

Compared to polished or anodized alum, it's a little funky/cobby, somewhat interesting, but not quite suitable for my purposes. Also it wasn't all that cheap!

But, it *does* seem to protect the aluminum surface, seems to make it harder, more slippery.

But I'm hoping for something I can apply, on a limited production basis, hopefully simultaneously in the mechanical polishing process.

Idears?

Reply to
DrollTroll

Alodine

Jim Stewart

Just wanted to add, I'm not looking for mirror finishes, more satin. I use scotchbrite pads on lathe parts, and belts on a belt sander. Typical geometries are 3/4 dia rounds x 4", 2" sq tube x 4-6 ft, 14"x14 plates, 2" angle, etc.

Reply to
DrollTroll

As you're already been advised. Alodine. It can be clear, or chromate.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

DT:

Glass Beading (Bead Blasting), may be an option. It gives a satin type finish. You can use different media types like walnut shells. Don't use sand on alum. though, much too coarse. Here's a cheapie Enco cabinet:

I don't know if it comes with the gun, it doesn't show one in the picture.

You can take some sample parts to a professional bead blaster and have them use various media & grit sizes to see which finish you prefer, then buy that particular media/grit.

Reply to
BottleBob

you can anodise on the desktop in about an hour.

try a google search for "ockleshaw anodising" it will get you an article relating how anodising can be done simply.

ordinary old Brasso is an excellent aluminium polish. on some alloys the polish will remain chrome like for a number of years. use a piece of flanelette not scotchbrite if you want a shine with the brasso.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

Anodizing is an oxide finish, but not particularly durable. Its ONE advantage is that it can be relatively cheaply dyed in innumerable colors. Your other alternatives are conversion coatings, like Alodine and its cousins, or surface coatings. Surface coating can be paint, lacquer, wax or you can go with powder coating. Powder coating is probably the most durable. If you want shiny, you're going to have to wax and keep waxing or lacquer and keep lacquering. If it's exposed to weather, it's going to oxidize unless it's coated or painted. Powder coating is probably the best from a longevity standpoint in the weather, but it can fail, too. Just depends on what you want to do with your project. If it's decorative and will stay inside, a coat of wax may do.

Stan

Reply to
stans4