Re: Zepplin (not quite plastic)

I don't know if it is the same kit series, but I have a balsa Los Angeles, and from the description in HA's catalog, it may be the same
mfg and series.
I have not built it yet, but have looked extensively at it. You build a balsa (and a little bit of plywood) structure, then cover it with tissue, then dope tissue. Same as building a flying model airplane. Since I have built those almost all my life, and still do, this is no problem with me. But I know some folks don't like it.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:21:29 -0500, "William H. Shuey"

If you're looking for a wartime ship, Hindenburg won't work. It was shaped much differently and the gondola was much less extensive than the bombers.
If you're just looking for a generic flying cigar, Hindenburg will be just what you're looking for.
--
Jeff C
RLHD

Jeff C wrote:

Well, that depends on which series you are looking at. The early Zepplins had a "Cigar Shape", that is, there was a long central hull with parallel sides and rounded front and almost rounded tail. Later birds were more teardrop shaped and the 70 series "Height Climbers" were very close to what the Hindenburg looked like. The U.S.S. Shenandoah was actually a very close copy of one of the German wartime classes.     It seems hard to realize that the later W.W.I Zeppelins on occasion could exceed 20,000 feet and were the first aircraft to encounter the jet streams.
                            Bill Shuey
I think this same kit's been on eBay off & on for a year or so. I stumbled upon it while looking for the Revell a/c carrier. If they're still on there, you might find more info.

I'm afraid to ask, but what is the scale? Kim M
Royabulgaf wrote:

Finished length is 48 inches.
            Bill Shuey

Well, it looks like I'll be sticking with the Revell Minikit of "Hindenburg" to furnish my airship fleets for "Aeronef" wargames. Now all I need is some Victorian Antigravity Gunboats in the same scale...

Regards,
--
Moramarth

That 48" length sounds similar to that old monster by Hawk. I bought one once back around 1976, but never finished it for unrelated resons. I still have a couple of parts in my stash, I think. Has anyone ever finished it? Think two ~~HHHUUUGGGEEE~~ vacuumed-formed gas bag halves, with a lot of translucent which plastic injected pieces. I don't remember any decals. What's it going for nowadays?
The Old Timer wrote:

I've seen one finished and while not minutely detailed it captures the look quite well. I know Testors re-released it within the past 10-12 years and that may have reduced the Hawk's value for builders. Airships have interested me since the Goodyear blimp started appearing around here in the '60s. That was the only book in the Time-Life aviation series I kept when I donated the rest to the library.
Bill Banaszak, MFE