CNC lathe but not quite!

A possibility?
J Gold
Ok, I'm going to try and explain this as best as I can. This is what I would
like to build. I am starting to make Pool Cues, and I want to build a
machine that will cut the shaft tapers out. Currently most cue makers use a
metal lathe with a taper bar on it, they disengage the cross slide and the
taper is created using this method. They use a laminate router to cut the
shafts. I would like to build a small lathe about 40" wide and I would like
to attach a stepper motor to raise and lower the centers where the shaft
wood is being held. Then I would like a stepper motor turning a feedscrew to
move the laminate router from one end to the other. The computer should
control the taper by raising the bed or lowering the bed. Since you can have
many different tapers for different cues, you can see how this can be
beneficial. This way you don't have to tie up the main lathe (or buy another
one) just to cut shafts/butts. I have been a computer programmer for about
10 years and can program in just about any language. So I'm hoping my
background will help me out. What I need is someone to suggest a good
package I can purchase to do this, such as the controller/stepper motors. I
intend on building my own software to kick out the G code to the controller.
Please if you have further question just ask I'll be happy to answer them,
and I appreciate everyones help.
Thanks,
Glenn
Reply to
HopsNBarley
That probably would be good, but I'm sure expensive. And part of the hobby of building cues is building specific machinery to do the job. I really just need to know if someone can recommend a CNC controller with Stepper motors. The rest I can figure out through trial and error. I would also, obviously, like something affordable, maybe there is more of a hobbyist setup opposed to a commercial setup.
Thanks,
Glenn
Reply to
HopsNBarley
Cross-posted
"HopsNBarley" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com...
expensive. And part of the hobby
to do the job. I really
controller with Stepper
and error. I would also,
is more of a hobbyist
Reply to
Kathy
Interesting - a Porter-Cable router coupled to a JET woodworking lathe? ;)
Check out these links for some homebrew CNC stuff:
Mark Jones
try CNzone.com. lots of hobby machines....mjh
Reply to
mike hide