Atlas Lathe Timken Bearings

I have an Atlas metal lathe w/ 10" swing -- quick change gearing --

48" bed, etc. Timken bearings are installed.

PROBLEM: The chuck and shaft can be lifted some small fraction of an inch (many hundreds of an inch..). Does anybody know if the bearings can be tightened? Is this adjustable or fixable? Do the bearings and or shaft need to be replaced?

TIA

Teddy

Reply to
Theodore Roosevelt

Probably the adjustment on the taper bearings has backed off. Pull off some covers and see if you can tighten the nut on the shaft a bit and see if it reduces the play. The shaft MAY have turned in the bearings but it is unlikely. make sure that you don't overtighten it as too much preload will damage the bearings.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Also, as you are tightening be sure to rotate the shaft full turns in both directions to align the rollers - otherwise they can be skewed and loosen once they begin to run.

Reply to
Tom

Good point! I should have mentioned that.

Tom Miller

Reply to
Tom Miller

I have the official book here that came with a Craftsman lathe. The procedure is " run the lathe for 30 minutes to and hour to bring up to temp. Loosen the set screw on the Thrust nut located on the very left end of the spindle. Turn to where there is no play detected in the spindle. Advance the nut 1/16 turn past this point, this is equal to 2 teeth on the spindle gear, to provide the correct preload. Tighten the setscrew." The book is the 1973 printing. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g