Atlas lathe questions

When using the back gears on my 12" Atlas lathe, I hear a lot of gear noise, as if something isn't quite right. I've greased the gears to no
avail. Is this normal or a sign that something requires replacement?
My other question is that when in direct drive, no back gears in operation, I hear a periodic "clanking" sound, which seems to trace to play between the pin connection between the bull gear and the pulley cone. Is there a solution to this indicating something needs to replaced, or or is this normal?
Thanks in advance for any advice received.
Harry C.
Depends upon what you mean by noise. Those are square cut gears that are in loose fit. They will make a fair bit of noise as they go along. If you can't hear your radio when the back gears are running, either you have some bad gears or the adjustments for the set is wrong.
-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Or the radio isn't loud enough.
Gary
Hey! I've got some newly repainted speakers and an amplifier I may put on ebay.
Bob Swinney
wrote:

in
some
My 10" makes a racket like this. The pin connection is worn, resulting in some play between the bull gear and pulley cone. One of these days I'll have to take it apart and repair it...probably bore out the existing parts and put in some bushings to repair the worn holes. The noise sounds like a metallic clank in direct drive, with almost a bell-like note. With back gears and lower speed, it sounds like clatter in the gears.
Al

Thanks guys for your helpful responses.
I'm concluding that the noise from the backgears is at a sound level I'm now is perfectly normal. My problem here is that I had the belts set up for high rpm turning when I attempted to use the backgears. When I slowed the drive speed down to more reasonable rates, the noise level was reduced to something that sounded more like a smooth running machine!
When in direct drive, as one poster perfectly described, I hearing the result of play between the bull gear and the drive cone. I now have to determine if it's the pin in the bull gear that is worn, or the bushings in the pulley cone.
If it's the coupling pin, does anyone know if replacements are obtainable and what is required to replace one?
I can live with the situation for now, but ultimately would like to correct it.
Thanks again.
Harry C.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Harry Conover) writes:

http://www.atlas-press.com
On the 6" at least, you'll likely to have to pull the spindle to get the pulleys out, and do a little bit of take-apart in the bull gear. It'll be quite apparent once the gear is out.
Gregm

    [ ... ]

    Hmmm ... I would start with a lathe, some steel stock, and (perhaps) a knurling tool. They are simple enough so you should be able to make a replacement after examining the original one.
    Though there is a good chance that Atlas/Clausing still has them in stock. Not sure what the odds are for the bull gear and the cone pulley, however.
    I suspect that part of the problem is that the hole in the cone pulley is rather worn -- or perhaps you aren't pushing the pin far enough in. If it is worn, you'll need to make some bushings with the right size ID, drill out the holes in the pulley, and press int he bushings. There should be more than one hole in the pulley -- probably two or four, so count before you start, since you will need the lathe functional to make the bushings. And be careful of the position of the oversized holes, to make sure that the bushing lines up with the hole in the bull gear.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
replying to Harry Conover, Mark McPherson wrote: Harry i had the same problem I took the back tumbler gear off and bored out the center hole and made a bushing . then size the bushing and it work great
replying to Harry Conover, Mark McPherson wrote: Harry i had the same problem I took the back tumbler gear off and bored out the center hole and made a bushing . then size the bushing and it work great
On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 9:18:06 PM UTC-4, Mark McPherson wrote:

You replied to a 17 year old message. Do you think the person is still around?