Naming lathe parts

Hi!

Has anybody got a link to a site where there is a picture of a lathe with the parts named in english? I just know some (spindle, tool rest, bed, ...) but I need more (mainly of the moveable parts holding the tool). A understandable verbal description would help to.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message news:1hckmhn.1wkrrhbq1qzt5N% snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de...

I'd offer a scan of the manual that came with my Chinese wonder, but only for comic relief! Any manual that refers to the lathe operator as "the jockey" wouldn't be too useful for your purposes.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Video

Backspace any of the above URLs for a wealth of machining basic info

Reply to
Rex B

I have kept a manual of one of the first PC-keyboards of an XT-clone from Taiwan. The german translation is an incredible nonsense. They translated it from their bad english. Imagine that with your "jockey".

I remember, that they translated "cursor" to something saying "curl pusher" (whatever that is on a PC).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

At least this one is exactly what I wanted! Great!

Haven't yet checked the other ones, but I guess they also give me names. ;-)

Thanks a lot, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I thought "cursor" was someone who used bad language.

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Be aware that there are variations in the terms, depending.

For example, the "chip pan" is sometimes called the "chip tray".

Also -- that particular image is of a gear driven lathe, so it does not cover the details under the headstock, such as the "cone pulley" (multiple step pulley around the spindle), and the back gears. Also, the bull gear (in front of the cone pulley) and the pin which locks the bull gear to the cone pulley.

The other sites may fill in some of the gaps left by this one, but I also have not looked at them yet.

But things like a "bed turret" on a lathe in place of the tailstock hit some problems when discussing them between the UK and the US. In the UK, I believe that is called a "capstan", while the ones in which the turret is power driven and a permanent part of the lathe are called "turret lathes". (I may have this backwards, as I am posting from the US -- but I have hit the confusion before. Whichever it is, I have what my manufacturer (Clausing) called a "bed turret". :-)

Best of luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes, I'm aware of the differences. But the parts I need are named the same. And I don't need to go in details (under the hood).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Apparently, my rotary table has something called a "shaking shank".

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

According to Steve R. :

Could that be a pivoted worm gear, which can be disengaged from the main gear on the table? Some are pivoted, some are mounted on an eccentric to engage and disengage.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If a lathe has a carriage, why wouldn't be a jockey helpful?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

You are expected to use the reins, instead. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols