Steady Rest for Atlas-Craftsman 12 inch Lathe

I am interested in acquiring an inexpensive steady or possibly follower rest for an atlas-craftsman 12 inch metalworking lathe. Although I
have seen several for sale through ebay and other places, I am interested to know if there are other brands that are compatible with the ways, etc. of this lathe. In other words, what other options are available? I am also open to building one of my own if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about this possibility. It would be much easier if I had pictures and/or measurements of a stock one to work from. Thanks in Advance, Woodworker88 Los Altos High School "Eagle Strike" Robotics Team

Depending on your budget, you might try Clausing for original Atlas versions of both types of rest. As of a few years ago these seemed to be available new at less cost than what they usually bring on Ebay. I'm thinking $275 for the steady and $125 for the follower, but could have that wrong.
The Atlas lathes are one of the few types that used flat ways, which would limit your options on substitutions unless you are willing to do some fairly extensive modifications. If that doesn't bother you, versions of each could be made from scratch or you could try modifying the MLA steady casting kit, which was designed for a SB 9" lathe:
http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-9.html
Mike
Thanks for the advice. I am going to check into the MLA kits especially as they also have some other accessories that I am interested in. Has anyone ever made on of these? I would like to know the amount of machining needed before I purchase. It is difficult to determine from the description exactly what is needed.
I suggest you build one as a class project. Good intro to the real world challangess of reverse engineering, and shows your students how tools are used to make tools. Many were amazed that you can make tools as they thought you had to buy these at the store.
See http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/machining/TRAVEL~1.HTM note that the 7/16 X 20 all-thread was used simply because I had some on hand from the parallel jaw clamps we made in previous semesters.
If it would be helpful I can provide dxf/dwg of the Emco compact 10 travel rest. Let me know what version you need.
Uncle George
=========================On 15 Nov 2005 22:20:42 -0800, "woodworker88"

woodworker88 wrote:

Check out this page and scroll most of the way down to the "Steady Rest for Metal Cutting Lathe". Appears to be plans from an old Popular Mechanics or the like. I've just cut the ring for this project and am waiting on some bronze bolts that I've ordered. Hope to have it complete in a few weeks (moving slowly).
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX