Lathe Tooling?

Our robotics team just acquired an old Craftsman 12" lathe and it came with limited tooling. If anyone in the SF Bay Area has old tooling they are going to throw out, we are interested in taking it. Specifically, we are looking for some old carbide tipped or carbide insert tools, but we can also use regular tooling and toolposts. We are open to buying used tooling, but we would like the option of seeing it in person rather than buying sight unseen. Thanks, woodworker88 Los Altos High School Eagle Strike Robotics Team

woodworker88

I have no idea of what you have, but what you "need" is an experienced lathe operator who can give you some guidance. Lathe "tooling" (depending on what you already have) is not all that expensive, especially if you buy a few HSS tool blanks and grind them as needed.

I would suggest you visit the folks at West Valley Live Steam (meets 4th Friday evening at SLAC) or South Bay Metal Workers (meets 2nd Tuesday evening in Cupertino) where you could find people who have spent a lot of hours bent over a lathe who would be more than willing to share their rather considerable expertise with you.

I am a member of both groups and would be happy to introduce you.

Reply to
Jerry Foster

In article ,

I hate to break it to you, but lathe "tooling" is frequently worth more than the lathe and considerably easier to sell as well. Search ebay for craftsman/atlas lathe to get an idea of the current prices. I sold 2 craftsmans lathes a while back and had numerous offers to buy the accessories which I turned down because I knew it would make selling the machines difficult.

If all you need is misc carbide toolbits, I suggest you visit enco or msc web sites.

Chuck Sherwood

Hey Jerry,

I took it to be a 12" Craftsman WOOD-turning lathe from the OP's description. Your suggestion has great merit in any case!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks, guys. I'll start looking around for some stuff. BTW, I wish I had a 12 " wood lathe.

Reply to
woodworker88

Whoops...sorry if I mis-understood. Indeed, take up Jerry's suggestion.

Garage sales are good places if you live in a town where there are/were lots of metal-workers.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I very well may get flamed for this, but I would concentrate on HSS tooling rather than carbide, as the 12" Craftsman lathe can do better work with the HSS. A quick-change toolpost with toolholders would be a good way to go. The old lantern toolpost works, but is a bit of a pain and timewaster. The quick-change is to much nicer to use and is quite a bit more rigid (which permits nicer work). Check e-bay, and your local "scandel sales" papers in your area. There is stuff out there - and some can be had for a song, but you just gotta look a bit. HTH Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

I happen to agree about the quick change toolpost, and if I can find the tooling I will pick it up even if we haven't got the actual toolpost yet.

Reply to
woodworker88