Summit lathe -- steady

Greetings,

This spring I got a great deal on a used Summit 19-4 x 80" lathe. It took me awhile to get it going, as I had to replace the 7.5hp motor with another of single phase, and then rebuild the electrical panel to match the new electrical load. Once the bed was levelled and the headstock aligned (with great info from a friend I met on this newsgroup) I could cut a pass off a

2" x 10" test bar with only .0001" difference between ends.

Anyway..... the steady rest was missing the top half and the follower rest was missing the "fingers" and other hardware. I made up the pieces for the follower, only to find it was the wrong one for this lathe. It bolts on the carriage ok, so it's definitely a Summit lathe product, but the center height is about 1.25" too high, so I'm guessing it's for a Summit about 22" swing. If you have such a beast and need a follower, I have a good one for sale. And I'm looking for one follower and/or steady rest for my 19" if anyone has any idea of where I can latch onto one (other than a new one from the Summit distributor).

Al MacDonald

Reply to
Al MacDonald

those are really nice lathes , i ran one for several years , you do have to keep an eye on the spindle bearings though , on some models they tend to develop excessive clearance and cause slop in the spindle

Reply to
WILLIAM HENRY