Places of Interest Catalog

It has been quite a while since I solicited contributions to the Places of Interest spreadsheet.

Did you visit someplace in 2005 that other readers of R.C.M. would find interesting also? If so please send me a note about it and I will add your information to the spreadsheet.

If this is the first you have heard about it please go to

and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the Places of Interest link.

Thanks for your interest and Happy New Year!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

I suggest that you sort that spreadsheet by state, and then PDF it before posting it on the Web site. Think of the XLS as your source code. Before you know it, you might have dozens of copies running around the Web all pointing to each other, all with errors you can do nothing about because someone else "took over".

The sorting by state suggestion is because I think like this:

  1. Hmm, I'm going to XXX
  2. Wonder if there are any cool sites to see there?

Anyway, it's a good idea. Pretty discouraging that there aren't any metalworking sites of interest in WA except Boeing Museum of Flight and the Boeing Everett plant, neither of which really qualifies IMO.

Grant

Errol Groff wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant: thank you for the suggestions. I have dumped the XLS file and replaced it with two PDF, one by state and the other by alphabet.

Yesterday I received an email with a bunch of new places and I will be adding them probably today. I will post a note when I am finished.

Errol

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

What? Nothing in Texas??

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Errol Groff wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Sorry Rex, I have never been to Texas but if you have something interesting to add I welcome your thoughts.

TW I have just updated the files with many interesting places suggested by Art.

Errol Groff

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

OK, I'll suggest these:

American IronHorse Motorcycle Company

4600 Blue Mound Road, Fort Worth, TX 76106 817.665.2000 Description The American IronHorse facility, with its 224,000 square feet, enables the company to accommodate manufacturing, engineering, paint department, assembly line and polishing all at the same location while providing adequate space for long-term growth.

Hours Take the free tour every other Friday at 3:00 p.m. Reservations are required. Please call 817.665.2000.

------------------------------------------ WW2 B17 in restoration at MEacham Field in North Fort Worth Other historic aircraft and small aviation museum. Last time I was there they were setting up a machine shop, looking for someone to run the machines on a voluntary basis.

---------------------------------------- - Midland-Odessa CAF/WW2 Museum at the airport. Aircraft were not accessible last fall, but normally are. B17 and B24 (?) in restoration, about 20 nice historic aircraft.

--------------------------------- Petroleum museum on I20 Everything you wanted to know about exploration, drilling refining.

MAJOR BONUS: Jim Hall Chapparel wing opened in 2005. Jim's shop is in Midland. All the cars (1 each) are on display, including the infamous Sucker Car. I will go here every time I'm in town.

Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Errol Groff wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:35:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Errol Groff quickly quoth:

PDF, by state: That's probably marginally readable on an 11x17" piece of paper, Errol, but it's not very readable on a 19" monitor. Also, your "contributor" column wrapped to pages all by itself, pages 5-8.

Ditto the alphabetical PDF. Oops!

Perhaps it would be better to make those portrait style with narrower columns and narrower margins while using a few more pages. Just a thought.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had noticed that when I checked the up load. Hmmm. I will tend to that tomorrow. Thanks for the head up.

Errol Groff Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

Ok. Got the information compressed onto one page by shrinking a couple of the columns.

Errol Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

And it fits :-) Had to take out the A4 tray and put in the 11x17! The big tray is letter naturally!

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Errol Groff wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Don't forget my favorite air museum, the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston.

It has one of the best collections of flyable Grummans I've seen, in addition to lots of others. Just click on the Aircraft Status board. I try to stop in there at least once per year.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I can't see your pdf files (my fault, not yours) but FWIW here's two:

The rhinebeck, ny, aerodrome:

And also the uss ling, a ww2 submarine in hackensack nj:

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Well worth a visit if you're an old airplane buff, WW1 vintage planes. Heck, well worth it even if you're not any kind of airplane buff. :)

Great fun!

Reply to
John Husvar

Thanks guys. The listing has been updated and posted.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff
4 places. (only) :-)

In Ft. Worth : American Iron Horse Motorcycle Museum WWII B17 at Meacham - was at Greater South West - pre DFW - but was fixed up by the good guys (the REAL good guys - those that fixed them in the war!) and put on flatbed trucks for Ft. Worth.

Midland-Odessa - area - CAF/WWWII Museum and Petroleum Museum.

IIRC, on I30 - between Dallas and Ft. Worth - the old toll road - there is a Firetruck Museum.

Lufkin,Tx - Down here there is the East Texas Museum and Texas Forestry Museum. Have a very nice - and special Zoo on the north loop of town. Birding trails .....

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The Ammon Carter is in Ft. Worth - and some fine Museums are in Dallas.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Errol Groff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I finally got around to visiting the New England Air Museum near Bradley Field in Ct. this year.

A lot of unique aircraft. Also some antique cars and military displays. My son particularly enjoyed the PC computer flight simulators they have set up.

While you are in the area of the air museum, Old Newgate Prison makes a nifty side trip. It's very close by. The prison started out as a copper mine in 1705 and was later converted to a prison in 1773. Spectacular views from the back of the property so try to pick a clear day.

I also enjoy the Illinois Railway Museum.

My wife usually ends up dragging me out of there. I could wander around there all day. Loads of all sorts of rail cars, locomotives, trolleys and electric cars of various vintages in all different stages of restoration. I was let into the machine shop for a look-see just by asking one of the volunteers working there.

Reply to
D Murphy