4X6 Bandsaw Speed Ctl Photos in Dropbox

Following are photos of the cutting speed control for my copy of the ubiquitous 4"x6" bandsaw. I thought about and discarded the idea of building a bracket to compress the cylinder on the cutting stroke. This would give the advantage of moving more fluid for the same distance, but would require a lot more work.

Instead, I decided to slightly reduce the thickness of the spring mount to accept the cylinder yoke, then made a shoulder pin for the rear yoke, to mount through an existing hole which I enlarged slightly and counterbored to accept the pin. The reservoir is a 4 oz. model airplane fuel tank. The reservoir mount is just scrap steel drilled, bent, and painted.

The pictures are as follows:

\dropbox\SawSpdCtl01.jpghttp://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl02.jpghttp://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl03.jpghttp://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl04.jpghttp://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl05.jpghttp://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl06.jpghttp://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl07.jpg

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

x?¥TÁrÓ0½û+öT.J)3?¡:Z?K/?´±ÕÈZUZÅ5_ÏÊNKM.¹?µïí?»º¢[êa

1l"y^®?Þ&§R? :{rëKT??¥®ãPµÌál¹ìû¾?ë)n­ojMÝÒD kº_^©þ*?ì^¾ª¿\^T²®«jÅ? ?Ýâ?=??|î?PBKLéA£Î
Reply to
Grant Erwin

Nope, that's a hydraulic speed control valve, which is exactly as you described, a needle valve and check valve in parallel, only in one housing.

I think the cylinder and valve came from

I've had them awhile, waiting for the round tuit.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

So this (and other bandsaw mods) begs the question: are there recommended feeds for a bandsaw cutting specific materials? IOW, can one take the mod that you (and other who have done similar mods) made and equate it to a feed rate? Should I quit writing and go look in my Machinery Handbook?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

For steel, I use pulley #2, and 9 on the needle valve.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Pete:

Nice crisp photos! They so a good job of illustrating the parts.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

According to Pete Keillor :

[ ... ]

A minor problem there. You have '' as the later dividers in the URLs, when they all should be '/'. Some Windows browsers let you get away with that, but it is non-standard HTML, and won't work on all systems. Certainly "wget" on my unix boxen barfs.

Nice photos, once that is corrected. Which shaper is that which you are using? I don't believe that it is the 7" Rockwell/Delta/AMMCO one which I have, because your table appears to have real T-slots.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yup, metered in one direction and full flow in the other. Does your valve have the numbered calibration marks, and have you worked out a feed chart yet? I once bought a Starret blade for my BS and the package had feed rate suggestions on it. Not much use with the spring operated feed mechanism.

Ditto on what some folks have said about the back-slashes in your dropbox links. Gotta use forward-slashes.

I'd really like to mod my saw as you have but I haven't had any luck finding an appropriate cylinder yet. Seems to be a common problem.

Very nice job though.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Hi, DoN. Oops, you're right of course. Missed that. Grant mentioned there are similar fixes, which is where I got the idea. Grant mentions them on his excellent 4x6 faq, Roy had pictures as well as a lot of other stuff on his frugalmachinist site. You know, the one that makes you tired just looking at it. How many hours does he cram in a day? I've incorporated Chris Heapy's ideas as well.

My shaper is an early 8" Logan, which I really enjoy. The work stops with teenuts were made on it. The table and table support are one of its best features. The variable speed drive and chain drive make it a little noisy, but not bad.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

You know, I'll be g*d d**ned. I made up a saw hydraulic downfeed control and I used one of those Parker flow control valves and I *never knew* it had an integral check valve. Funny, too, because the external check valve I plumbed in leaks real bad and I was about to start searching for a replacement. Here's a pic of how I did it:

I just ripped out the (external) check valve and plugged that branch, and it still works fine, i.e. lifts up without restriction. Only thing I can't do now that I used to be able to do is to flip off the shutoff lever, and lift the saw to exactly where I wanted it and it would stay put. All with one hand. Now I have to lift it to where I want it and hold it there while flipping the shutoff lever. Just a little less convenient, but many fewer joints, and the main leak is gone! I sure feel dumb because I never knew what a flow control valve was until tonight, but better late than never!

The flow control valve I have in the picture is a Parker F400B. I scrounged two of them one time when I was down at Triangle Machinery in San Jose. I just checked and these suckers cost over $26 at Grainger right now. Wow.

Grant

Pete Keillor wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin