Photos in Dropbox

A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished (other than paint). It's too heavy but rolls well. About half the weight is the wheels. They were cheap, but are cast iron and solid rubber. There are a couple of half inch steel pads welded under the front edge of the bottom plate. This keeps the cart resting on the tires and the pads, which prevents rocking. It seems pretty stable.

I found a small toolbox at Ace and bolted it on.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Thats a nice looking piece of work! I really like working the 1" box tubing, it's easy to cut, easy to weld and it looks good.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

Is that a Victor Performer torch outfit? If so, how do you like it? I am thinking about a Super Range, but a Performer may be fine for my hobbyist needs. TIA.

Reply to
more2learn

Nice work but it might be prudent to replace the straps with chain. At home it could be ok but in industry you have to use chain.to prevent the bottles falling over in a fire. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Interesting. I know of a welding shop that just burned within the last week. Actually, the service came through an adjoining building and it burned, but it got part of the welding building, and equipment, as well.

Just reinforcing what you said. Buildings DO burn. I talked with the welder and it seems some gages were messed up as well as one tank, and other things. I think he said the firemen got there just in time to throw a hose on the tanks and keep them cool-er.

Don't know the cause of the fire, but if the welding shop service was in conduit it appears to have been plastic and may have just been single conductors hanging together after entering the building.

P.S. Nice job on the cart. I need to complete one I started a couple months ago, before I had a welding table ... and let the base twist slightly because of not having the 1" sq. tubing clamped in place. I'm putting the tubing on the base as well, and expect to use about 20" (?) bicycle type hard rubber tires.

Reply to
Al Patrick

Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered why I usually see chain. I'll just have to figure out a good way to snug it.

A previous reply asked if the torch was a Victor Performer. No, it's the Radnor knockoff. It works ok and is supposed to be compatible with Victor tips. I'm thinking about getting a Smith Little Torch for small silver soldering jobs, etc.

Thanks also for the nice comments from everyone.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I like a small turnbuckle on the chain or a piece of threaded rod on the end of the chain with a nut with two small wings welded on to make a wingnut. The other way is a strap of steel 1/8th thick by 2 inches wide bent to match the cylinders. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Small double hook turnbuckle. Hardware store for $4.00USD

Gunner

Gunner

Pete sez: "...I'm thinking about getting a Smith Little Torch for

Yeah, me too. I've got one on order. The decision was made when I tried to adjust the pressure and flame on a #1 Victor tip small enough to "size" a finger ring. It was successful, but difficult (and scary) to do on a diamond ring.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Very nice. I want to make one for myself. BTW, are those the 6 cubic meters O2 tank plus the 3 kg acetylene tank? I have those and I had the feeling that carting them around would be insane as they are heavy enough.

-Regards,

Mongke

Reply to
mongke