OA Cart Finished (was: Photos in Dropbox)

On excellent suggestions from the group, I replaced the straps with chain. I used De-Sta-Co clamps to secure. It's quick and doesn't allow any movement of the bottles once adjusted. I also added a couple posts to store the bottle caps.

Pete Keillor

A couple photos of the OA cart I just finished (other than paint). >It's too heavy but rolls well. About half the weight is the wheels. >They were cheap, but are cast iron and solid rubber. There are a >couple of half inch steel pads welded under the front edge of the >bottom plate. This keeps the cart resting on the tires and the pads, >which prevents rocking. It seems pretty stable. > >I found a small toolbox at Ace and bolted it on. > >
>Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor

Looks beefy! When I built a custom rig to hold my OA tanks it magically produced a local ad selling a pair of bigger owner tanks for $75. I couldn't resist, snapped up the bigger tanks, and then realized I'd not designed my setup to hold anything but my exact cylinders. Oh, well. Yours might have more room, can't tell. I like the chain idea, it has worked well for me. I did it slightly differently, see

for my concept. The DeStaCo clamp idea is really easy to implement, wonder how spendy they were?

A buddy of mine is currently scrounging for a welding cart. I was thinking about slicing off some 2" pieces of 10" pipe and welding some flat bar across a diameter (one on either side of the pipe) and machining a central hole to admit a hub which would then be welded in. This would make crude but strong steel wheels from scrap 10" pipe.

When I get a little farther along with welding and learn to weld aluminum I may modify an old aluminum hand truck to be an O/A cart. Much lighter and won't rust without paint.

Grant

Pete Keillor wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Pete, Hello my name is Wayne & I'm new to the group. As a recently retired U.S. Army chief warrant officer three with 25 years of military service who specialized in welding and machine shop...I've been all over the world & seen some pretty neat things in metal working....your cart has got to be the best approach to an OA cart I've ever came across. The only thing I'd personaly add if I were building it (and believe me I can only wish I'd have thought of something like this) would be some larger diameter tires. I've never had much luck with pneumatic (they always go flat) so I'd recommend either some of those new flatless wheel barrow tires, or (probably better yet) some BMX style bicycle tires with some of that "green slime" flat sealer in them. Maybe your torches won't ever be off of pavement, but I like having the ability to move them across grass, gravel, etc. Great job anyway Pete!

-Wayne-

Reply to
clutchglass

I recall they were about $14 ea. on sale at J&L. Seemed reasonable.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

These are cast iron with solid rubber tires and too damned heavy. Lighter on everything would have been better. Luckily, I don't have to drag this thing off pavement.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Good point! One never knows where you will need the torch. Thanks for the quarter century of service!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Pete I like the setup also. My chain setup is just like Grants. I will be making a better rig for my torch and I will use 20" solid tires,[ Northern tools].. That should offset the weight of the torch.. Right now I am using a hand cart modified for the torch.

Looks verry nice.

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.