skip welding?

I'm getting to where I can pretty reliably run a bead that looks and functions like I want it to. What I still can't do very well, though, is e.g. run a bead

3" long right *there*. I can now start a bead where I want thanks to my electronic hood, but I just don't seem able to spot soapstone lines or in fact any kind of lines, so I just guesstimate with sometimes laughable results.

I used to watch guys welding stringers along shell plate on fishing boats. 3" of weld every foot, and they were within 1/16" every single time. They just layed out the lines with soapstone. Is there some vision trick to spotting such lines? I have my filter set to 10 for normal stick welding ..

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Start with cleaning your lens. Replace the front shield plate if necessary. I have some spare NEW lens plates for when I have to borrow a helmet. You should be able to CLEARLY see weld spatter and other artifacts several inches from the weld.

Use your soapstone to mark cross lines for your start and stop. Much easier to see than just a line wher you want the weld. Use a troubl elight or, beter yet, a 300 or 500 watt halogen bulb work light to light up your work area.

Depend> I'm getting to where I can pretty reliably run a bead that looks and

Reply to
RoyJ

With a clean filter set to the right shade the soap stone line will kind of glow a little. You may have the hood set to dark or to light. Either way will make the line hard to see. Then again some auto darkening hoods have a strange shade which may make the line harder or easier to see when compared to a standard green lens. Lots of variables here so it's hard to advise. Some experimenting should help. The only advise I can give is the make sure you make the soap stone lines long enough beside the weld that they're easy to make out. I'd mark at least 1 1/2" either side of the joint.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I'm with Roy...look at turning your lens down to 9 (that is what I use when running 1/8" rod). Also, Wayne has a point about shade colors. I have a Jackson NexGen & am absolutely CRAZY about it. It has an amber tint (similar to the old gold standard lenses) & the difference between it and my other conventional auo darkening helmets is pretty big. The NexGen has a much bigger viewing area & the amber tint really helps in seeing the joint area around the puddle.

-Wayne-

Reply to
clutchglass

I found that having a good source of light for the work area did wonders for me. I love welding outside under nice bright natural sunlight but that is not always practical. Bright shop lights are the next best thing. I use some powerful halogen lights that can be easily positioned but keep in mind halogen lighting has its own concerns. Not a problem for the little work I do as a hobbyist.

John

Reply to
John

Reply to