SMAW in vee?

In the State of Washington, to get a stick welding cert you have to weld up a test plate which is 5" long (along the bead), 1" thick, and has a 45° included vee with a gap at the bottom of about 1/4", with a backing bar. I have just finished this certification process and when I welded my overhead test plates I counted my 7018 1/8" stubs - it took me 24 electrodes to weld it up. I heard a guy at welding school today claim he could weld one up with 7-8 electrodes. Is this possible?

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Nah... you can do it. You just have to use the right electrodes. If you use a 1/2" electrode, you can fill the crack in about 3 passes.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

That's an overhead experience I'm going to avoid.

I agree with Randy- if the guy who told you the story can do what he says he could sure win a bet off me.

John

Reply to
JohnM