SMAW in vee?

In the State of Washington, to get a stick welding cert you have to weld up a test plate which is 5" long (along the bead), 1" thick, and has a 45 included
vee with a gap at the bottom of about 1/4", with a backing bar. I have just finished this certification process and when I welded my overhead test plates I counted my 7018 1/8" stubs - it took me 24 electrodes to weld it up. I heard a guy at welding school today claim he could weld one up with 7-8 electrodes. Is this possible?
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington
In the State of Washington, to get a stick welding cert you have to weld up a test plate which is 5" long (along the bead), 1" thick, and has a 45 included vee with a gap at the bottom of about 1/4", with a backing bar. I have just finished this certification process and when I welded my overhead test plates I counted my 7018 1/8" stubs - it took me 24 electrodes to weld it up. I heard a guy at welding school today claim he could weld one up with 7-8 electrodes. Is this possible?
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington
You are being given a line. Overhead is all about stringers and there are lots of them with one inch plate. If you took 8 covered electrodes and held them in a bundle you would not have enough volume to fill the groove. Randy
In the State of Washington, to get a stick welding cert you have to weld up a test plate which is 5" long (along the bead), 1" thick, and has a 45 included vee with a gap at the bottom of about 1/4", with a backing bar. I have just finished this certification process and when I welded my overhead test plates I counted my 7018 1/8" stubs - it took me 24 electrodes to weld it up. I heard a guy at welding school today claim he could weld one up with 7-8 electrodes. Is this possible?
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington
Nah... you can do it. You just have to use the right electrodes. If you use a 1/2" electrode, you can fill the crack in about 3 passes.
Peter

Peter Grey wrote:

That's an overhead experience I'm going to avoid.
I agree with Randy- if the guy who told you the story can do what he says he could sure win a bet off me.
John