cause of excessive spatter in overhead SMAW?

I'm working on overhead stick welding with 7018. I just ran a root pass into a
vee. The workpiece was 5" long and the first 4" of the bead were fine, but then
the "crackle" sounded different, lots of slag started dropping, and when I
finished I noticed lots of spatter in just the last 1". I was mentally focussed
on keeping the arc length short, and I don't believe it was from a long arc. I'm
wondering if my electrode angle wandered towards vertical, and if so, if this
could be the cause. I need to figure this out because I'm working to pass a WABO
certification test real soon.
Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Sounds like a bit of arc blow. You will get that kind of thing at the end of test plates. That is one reason the ends are discards anyway. Is that an open Vee??? If it is a backing bar make your backing bar a good bit longer than the joint. Randy
I'm working on overhead stick welding with 7018. I just ran a root pass into a vee. The workpiece was 5" long and the first 4" of the bead were fine, but then the "crackle" sounded different, lots of slag started dropping, and when I finished I noticed lots of spatter in just the last 1". I was mentally focussed on keeping the arc length short, and I don't believe it was from a long arc. I'm wondering if my electrode angle wandered towards vertical, and if so, if this could be the cause. I need to figure this out because I'm working to pass a WABO certification test real soon.
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington
Reply to
R. Zimmerman