Why is a cats head call a cats head?

I know what one is, I just don't know why it is called that. Idle questions on an idle day.....

Andy

Reply to
TheAndroid

Maybe because the bolts stick out like cat's whiskers.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I know what a "cat's paw" is, but "cat's head" doesn't ring a bell. What's it used for?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's a collar with three or four screws with locknuts perpendicular and pointing in. The screws are used to hold and center odd shaped work (like rectangular) pieces for use with the steady rest. The collar rotates in the steady and the item turns with it.

Andy

Reply to
TheAndroid

Good explanation. I didn't know what it was either. "Cathead biscuits" is as close as I could come.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Different trades, different backgrounds!!!

Cathead, in my experience, is a smooth power driven drum used in winching. here's one:

Went to look for one to show you and came up with this from answers.com: A beam projecting outward from the bow of a ship and used as a support to lift the anchor.

DanG

Beacuse it is attached to a cat?

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

By that definition, my cats each have 6 heads :)

jk

Reply to
jk

I should think the males would have 8 or 9, depending on how you choose to count the bits... ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

ROFLMAO!

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

that's what I thought of as well, Dan.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

However, from the OED: .................... a. A small capstan (Simmonds Dict. Trade 1858). b. A broad-bully hammer (Raymond Mining Gloss.). c. An attachment to a lathe to assist in supporting long bars when they are being turned' (Cent. Dict. Suppl. 1909).

1940 Chambers's Techn. Dict. 141/2 Cathead or spider, a lathe accessory consisting of a turned sleeve.

So perhaps, as resembling "a small capstan" the lathe attachment became so named..

Tom

Reply to
Tom