Metal shop cats

Cats ARE metalworking so, this is on topic. Our rough 9 yr. old shop cat met his maker late last week so, it was down to the APL to rescue a couple of new mousers. We saved a pair of 6-8 mo. old sisters, all black with a spot of white on their chests and seemingly affectionate. Their new home is in a

50' x 10' store room...kitty Disneyland! I figure that when they can escape from there, they will be ready for the shop. Their new names are: "Scratch" and "Sniff" Sniff has a bit more white on her chest.

My question is: It appears that raccoons come in the open overhead door during evening overtime when there's only a few people bouncing around in here. Is it something to worry about with the raccoons attacking the new cats? We won't leave any food out over night. If I could have some face time with the coons, I could talk to them and ask them to go away.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom, Racoons are mean bastards. Scratch and Sniff might be in real trouble if they get a little two curious.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Sounds like you may be leaving "food" out for the coons with the kittens there. Since a coon can kill a dog, a small cat wouldn't be a great challenge. An older cat will be a bit more wary. Hopefully, they still have their claws. Of course, since we have a runt ragdoll, we would worry about a large mouse. Then again, he does have attitude. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

I would doubt seriously if either party gave the other a 2nd look. We have plenty of raccoons around here living in the storm sewers and our cats & they have never crossed in 22 years.

My first pair of cats were (of course) Roach & Clip. My high school years were:

1). 60's 2). 70's 3). 80's

More hints: Both were completely white and looked awesome tumbling around in a black light.

I suddenly feel so grown up.

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

Sorry for your loss.

I've seen yearling cat with a 2" gash in it's head, from either a possum or a raccoon, don't know which. Older cats are smart enough to stay away.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Raccoons and skunks carry a lot of rabies. Both are pugnacious and would rather fight than sleep.

I would get a FiShock and rig it up for the raccoons. A couple of times, and your cats will have the place to themselves.

If I were to bet on a raccoon/skunk/cat fight, I would imagine the cat would be about a 1000:1 shot.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

For what its worth..its been my experience, albeit many years ago..that the cats will either fight with the coons (and likely lose) or simply ignore them, or even make friends with them, particularly when young. Growing up in N. Michigan..we had a serious surplus of coons around, a number of which we turned into pets, surprisinly easily. Coon kittens of course are as rambunctious and easy to domesticate as cat kittens.

The only serious concern Id have..is rabies brought in by the coons. Now if there is not a big rabies problem in your area..it may be moot. But be sure to get them their shots..all of them asap.

You can do the 7 way yourself for very cheap, but rabies is still done by vets, to the best of my knowlege.

gUNNER

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Crom..but I hate it when Mt. Dew comes out my nose....

Gunner, whose first cat was named Bummer

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
c.henry

"John Hofstad-Parkhill" wrote

You spent 30 years in high school?

I suddenly feel very,very smart. ;-) Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

When you 'talk' to the 'coons are you taking a 'friend' along? Is he known as Winchester? (not the M.A.S.H. character)

I wouldn't worry too much about a confrontation between cats and 'coons. If the cats are half assed smart they'll stay away from a 'coon. If not so smart they'll learn fast. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

70's, no doubt.
Reply to
Gary Brady

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:26:27 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, John Hofstad-Parkhill quickly quoth:

4). All of the Above.

Did you ever hear the album "A Child's Garden of Grass"? Hilarious, even when straight. Man was that a whole 'nother world/life...

So, were the metal shop cats made of aluminum, brass, or arn?

-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Depends on if it was Fat Freddiescat or not, man.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

I had a nocturnal visitor a couple of weeks ago. Heard noises at zero dark hundred outside. Slapped in a mag of .40 S&W tactical ammo of my choice, racked the slide and didn't worry about it thenceforth other than to continue to do what I was doing and pay attention in alert state amber.

Next day I saw a huge racketty-coon roadkilled on nearby East River Road. Bet that was my visitor.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Did it have any .4" holes in it?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Fat Freddies cat was steely eyed, had brass balls and would shit in Fat Freddies earphones. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait