Shop Cats and Welding (Gunner?)

What do any of you do about the shop cats when welding? Evict them? Miniature cat-sized welding hoods? One of our cats seems to be applying for the position of Shop Cat.

Adam Smith Midland, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Adam Smith

You need to instruct your shop dog to keep the cats out of the shop, or else!

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

I'd look into the dark Shade 8 smoked plastic sheeting they use for welding screens, and put some up around the welding table - rig up a shower curtain rod and get some steel curtain hooks.

Go look at McMaster-Carr

page 1701.

Now if the cat has developed the urge to curl up on top of the nice warm welder, you've blocked the direct sight of the arc. What little gets through the screen, the cat will figure out isn't good to look at when their eyes get a little arc-bit. They're not stupid, just aloof.

Unless you start getting them conditioned as kittens to something totally un-natural like a hood or goggles, I predict the same kind of battle as if you tried putting a cat on a collar and leash to take it for a walk - as in, a cat leaping and twisting every other step like a whirling dervish trying to dislodge that stupid harness.

If s/he gets into the habit of jumping up on the welding table "to see what you're doing", stronger corrective actions may be needed. Keep a hand sprayer bottle with water in it handy, and several soda cans with pennies inside are an effective auto-correcting sentinel when you are away.

Cats can be trained, but it's often a battle of wills.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The "miniature cat-sized welding hoods" was actually tongue in cheek. Your response is useful though, thanks. I will look into getting some of the sheet shading material.

Adam Smith Midland, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Adam Smith

I asked a local welder about why they (oil field welders) dont take their dogs to work like nearly everybody else around here does.

His answer was short. "Too many blind dogs"

Though..I have a few cats that hang around when Im welding..they tend to get bored and go lick themselves or fall asleep. But it is a concern I have also.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Hey, it wasn't a totally serious response, though you can train some kittens to a leash - or just staying out of the dangerous areas of the shop - if you start young.

And remember that cats are flammable. Especially longhaired breeds. The welding screen is fine for the sight-lines, but you also have to watch where the sparks are going. Also important with the angle grinder and oxy-acetylene torch. -->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

A quick blast with the air hose and they disappear. I thought everybody did that!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I worked for a guy building placer mining equipment and he had several cats in the shop, including kittens. They would sit up high and watch the arc from twenty to thirty feet away. I was concerned but the boss said it couldn't hurt them since they can close their eyes down more than us and they still were excellent mousers. They had enough sense to stay away when you were grinding and didn't startle with the noise. Cats are not as domesticated as dogs. They still have a lot of survival instincts that have been lost by many canines. Randy

Adam Smith Midland, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Not quite OT, but about fifteen minutes ago I was taking advantage of the cooler temperature between sunset and the mosquitos emerging and was doing a little yard work.

Our cat "Lard Ass" was lying nearby on the blacktop soaking up the heat. The new neighbors' Lab ambled over and started nuzzling my leg. Then the dog noticed our cat lying their giving him a very Garfield like bored stare. I half expected that dog to intimidate Lard Ass, but instead, he just uttered a yip and ran like hell back to "his" house.

Perhaps they've met already....And figured out who's the boss.

We started calling our cat Lard Ass when I found out he was too lazy to chase mice and was using mechanical assistance:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Be careful... I once heard about a cat that jumped up on a stove and lit the fur of his tail on fire... then panicked and ran into the living room to 'hide' out of reach under the couch. The house ended up being a total loss...

Erik

Reply to
Bob Bishop

I had a long haired female who loved sleeping on the stove, over the pilot lights. She snoozed up there when a stew was simmering and caught herself alight. Fortunately I was close by when I heard the yowling and the flaming fuzzball zoomed by me..or rather at me. She knew she was in trouble and headed for me to help.

Ever have a burning cat climbing you in panic?

I couldnt get her claws out of me to put her out..so I only had one option and we made a mad dash to the shower. Really didnt hurt her much..some scorched skin on her flanks..but she never went into the kitchen again after that. Nearly starved to death before I realized she wasnt eating with the rest of the cats there. So I had to put her a special bowl out in the utility room.

She finally passed of old age a couple years ago. Up until she died..she would stand at the door to the kitchen..but never enter.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

They make rectangular burner covers for gas stoves. I usually had one cat trying to hatch one.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch
.

RLOL! That's just priceless! Garfield's a piker.:)

Reply to
John Husvar

When Captain Kitty was about half grown, he was in the kitchen when I opened the oven and he hopped up onto the oven door. Between his own efforts and my assistance, he didn't stay there long. He hangs out in the kitchen for reasons similar to what Willie Sutton said about banks. But he doesn't even think about hopping onto the stove.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Oy! Dat'll learn 'im, and in a *BIG* fast way!

(Lotsa ObMetal in horseshoes)

Reply to
Don Bruder

But not very tasty. I prefer goat meat.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Mine comes when he hears the air hose, I use it at the end of the day to blow the dust off him and he likes it. I put my knees together over his ears and don't blast the head area, but i think it must feel good under that Lab fur.

Reply to
Stupendous Man