Cats and Models - Help

two 3 mos old kittens will be invading my home tomorrow as the newest members of the family.
I guess for the next few months building kits on the kitchen table
will be quite interesting.
any other modelers with cats? how do you make it work?
thx - Craig
on 8/12/2007 11:49 AM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net said the following:

Keep them off the table.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
said the following:

Brilliant in its simplicity.
--
Curt
VPS, CEW
Curt wrote:

Teach them to stay off the table and it does work.

yes!

Cats will learn the rule quickly; when you chase them off the table or squirt them for being on the table, they'll learn to not be on the table when you're nearby. They'll go up as much as they please if you're not around.
About squirt guns.... they do work unless you have the odd cat (like one of mine) who likes water. I'm told a couple drops of lemon juice in a spray bottle filled with water will sting their eyes just enough that they won't like it. I've never tried it, but I've been told. It makes sense.
If curious how much it hurts, there's a simple test. Shoot yourself in the eyes and see what it's like.
--- Stephen
Stephen Tontoni wrote:

And if you're still curious about how much things hurt...then shoot the cat in the eyes, and see what getting your face clawed off is like. I think the key here is having a model collection, or a cat collection, but not both simultaneously. Pet fish might be a better idea; then, unless you have an aquarium near the modeling area with a flying fish in it, you shouldn't have much trouble with your pet causing a disturbance while you are building something. In fact, a pet lobster could be taught to cut parts free from their trees with its sharp claw, and clamp parts while the glue dries with it crushing claw. The use of piranhas in removing vacuform parts from their backing sheets was a trick known to many modelers in the pre-resin kit days. ;-)
Pat

well, crud, that does make sense, doesn't it. just have to break the habit of leaving the trays of assembled parts on the table while the glue dries, etc... not used to cleaning up after myself.
Craig
Curt wrote:

Get a big dog. Kittens/cats will not be a problem anymore
8-)
--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

har, har. get a cat and sleep in.
AM wrote:

Don't bet on it, one of our old cats took apart a rottweiler.

yep, sacre a cat enough and she will lay on her back and eviscerate an attacking dog. saw a 8 lb tabby gut a shepard.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:>8-)

Fatboy just shredded the rottie's face.

that works.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Yep, 22 pounds of large cat ain't afraid of much.

We now have 3 dogs, all young but large. We also adopted nother couple a cats. Chester one of the new ones is medium sized male, few year old. When the 3 dogs come in off the porch to go to thier kennels, Chester sits in the niddle of the floor and hisses at them. You get sort of a 3 way dog pile as they try to avoid him. Takes abit to put them up if Chester is feeling particulalry bossy. He can corner them too, until they whimper. It's sad.
Frank
Gray Ghost wrote:

Too funny. One of many reasons I don;t have a dog.
AM wrote:

You never saw our pet Siamese cat riding that howling Dalmation done the street like a jockey from hell, firmly attached to its back by its needle sharp claws. :-D
Pat Flannery wrote:

ROFL...I once had a Burmese cat that I saw riding a Border Collie down the street in exactly the same fashion!
She also had a long haired German Shepherd trapped between a garage and the side boundary fence (a gap of about 2 feet). The next door but one neighbour knocked on my door and asked me to collect my cat so he could get his dog out of the gap! When I got there my cat had it's back arched, it's tail was like a flue brush and it was spitting up a storm, the fully grown GS was cowering at the back of the gap and whimpering like a scared puppy!
We lost our Yellow Lab a couple of months ago due to illness but she knew her place when it came to our current cats. She was firmly at the bottom of the animal totem pole as the cats were already established when she arrived as a tiny puppy. It only took a couple of swats across her nose when she got too close for the cats' comfort and she never really bothered them again. In fact she would patiently stand and wait if a cat was drinking out of her water bowl and she wanted a drink herself!
Getting back on topic, our current cats have never been a problem when it comes to models and one of them will lie on the kitchen table and watch what I am doing while I build. He has always watched me, regardless of what I am working on, but I do have to be careful if I have the soldering iron out as he is dumb enough to try and rub against it!
--
Larry Green

Larry Green wrote:

The cat rode it for over a block and a half, then sedately walked back home like it was king of all the jungle.

We had a situation something like that occur at our apartment house; someone had tied their dog's leash to the outside screen door, and a cat had promptly sat itself down just out of the dog's reach and was gleefully watching the dog go berserk. Then someone opened the door, and the cat was within reach of the dog. The dog went straight at the sitting cat, who simply raised its right paw and ran its claws right down the dog's nose. There was a split second of silence, then that dog let out a howl you could hear for blocks. :-)

It's lucky that more dogs don't get their eyes ripped out by cats; their reaction time is so fast that they've been known to claw the eyes out of poisonous snakes that were striking at them, followed by biting the snake's spine in half. I have a friend who lived up in Alaska, and he had a cat who would sit out on a dock and wait for salmon to swim by. As soon as one got in range the cat would jump onto its back and start clawing at it as the fish tried to swim away, with the cat still on it. I had another friend who had a pet dog and two big pet iguanas; the dog became convinced that it was also a iguana, and wanted to be in their cage with them. He'd put the dog in the cage, and the iguanas would flail the hell out of the poor thing with their tails till the dog escaped, howling. Then, around an hour later, the dog would want to get back in their cage again. There was something very wrong with that dog. :-) If that had been a cat, there would be two fewer iguanas in the world, pronto.

They sure do take a keen interest in everything going on in their surroundings in minute detail; if even a fly gets into the room, the cat knows it's there and begins immediately plotting a way to catch it.
Pat