Glue for Card Models

I picked a couple of card model kits while I was vacationing in Germany last month ( 4 old German townhouse buildings - 1/160 scale - and King Ludwig 2nd Newschwanstein castle - 1/250 scale). and was wondering what is the best type of glue for this type of modeling? The paper for the card models is kind of glossy, so it's got to be something that will hold well over time.

Here's what I have in my stash of adhesives: Elmer's glue sticks, CA glue, rubber and contact cement, double sticky Scotch and transparent (Magic type) tape.

I'll be posting the little houses first next week. The castle will take a little longer, it has 11.5 pages of cutouts, and it is a level

3 model - supposed to be very difficult. This is my first attempt at card modeling, so I will take my time doing the castle (at 20.90 euros or $28.60US, I don't want to mess it up).

I also downloaded 5 NASCAR racers a few months back and will start working on them in month or so. Taking a rest from plastics.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Suggest "Elmer's Glue-All" the normal white glue you can buy in any drug store. It worked very well with my first and so far only card model project. You might also consider downloading a free model from

and try it out before tackling something you really care about. My only project so far was Space Ship One from that web site. White glue worked very well.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Digital Navy recommend thick type CA for their models, and having built a couple I have to say it works very well. Some card models require certain parts to be "doubled" to 1mm or so, I found Scotch Craftmount spray adhesive to work well for this. Happy building.

flak monkey

I've been building a paper model of the Apollo lunar module. The best glue I've tried for this has been a white glue stick that is like a sticky paste. The reason I like it is that it is easy to control the application of it, it does not saturate the paper, has a perfect set up time (even after the parts have been attached) and seems to hold quite well after it's set. However, the paper I'm using is not glossy, so I'm not sure how it would work on that.

Reply to
somewildmonkey

Many thanks to all that responded. Lots of things to ponder and consider.

Again, thanks.

Cheers,

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to