priming paper and card

Hello. I propose to use card and some paper for a scale model. I was wondering about painting the finish. Some of the decorative touches I thought I might do on paper and glue on the curved surfaces, and for simple areas of colour I would paint straight on the card. Therefore what primer is best? Maybe the next question should have been number one: Any recommendation for the type of paint?

Pheep

Reply to
Pheep

I might mention here the use of computer punch cards as card stock for models. They are obsolete now, of course, but if you come across them, DO NOT throw them out- save them for modeling. They have a plastic coating (so they will not absorb moisture) and prime more easily than most card stock.

However, for ordinary card stock I use Krylon sandable primer. I find most uncoated card stock or paper takes two or three coats. Punch cards require only a single coat (unless in finishing you sand through the plastic coating, in which case they take several more coats as if they were regular uncoated stuff.

I use card stock a lot on models. It represents thin armour plating well, or removable panels. It is cheap, glues well. While it is harder to prime than plastic or metal, it is easier to finish than wood.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

i'm using card stock top replace the landing gear doors on the airfix bv141. the plastic is way too thick. i just paint it twice with model master and humbrohl paints.

Thanks, but last time I used Humbrol, I had the impression that it was too thick for detail? I wonder if acrylics are of any use? They have a wide range of colour, and are commonly mixed, but I don't know if they resist thumbprints from handling. I wonder if the plan would be to disregard the vulnerability of a paint, but protect it with a clear protective finish?

Pheep

Reply to
Pheep

if your humbrol is too thick, it is easy to thin with a little laquer thinner. i brush on 2 coats, but it also sprays very nicely. if the plane is glossy, use a coat of future floor finish. that stuff is tough. you can add talc that has been ground very fine to dull it down for matt finishes. rumor has it that future even works on floors.