Sticking paper to polystyrene

Anyone know the best adhesive for this? Everything I've tried either comes unstuck from the paper or from the polystyrene.

John

Reply to
John Rampling

Model Depot

The message from "John Rampling" contains these words:

[Assuming you mean Plasticard - if you mean expanded polystyrene (tiles) don't use this method]

I use "Plastic Weld" (bought from Eileen's Emporium, other suppliers are available). The method is to place the paper (usually brick paper) on top of the polystyrene, and then apply Plastic Weld liberally over the paper. The Weld soaks through the paper and a good bond is usually obtained. Work in a *well-ventilated* place - I work outdoors whenever possible when using Plastic Weld.

[Plastic Weld should *never* be brought into contact with expanded polystyrene - the polystyrene vanishes!! ]
Reply to
David Jackson

I had the same problem and bought a large pot of paper adhesive paste in an office supplies store in Carcassone and it works just fine. (The trip might be a little expensive though)

Reply to
peter abraham

Copydex, but make sure its thick paper as it yellows with age.

Reply to
estarriol

Where possible, I would "key" [1] the plastic surface first, too, so that the glue isn't trying to stick to a smooth surface.

[1] That is, roughen the surface by gently marking with a knife, of rubbing with very coarse sandpaper.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD
2" double sided carpet tape.
Reply to
stuart
2" double sided carpet tape.
Reply to
stuart

A very thin coat of this sprayable adhesive.... which behaves as a 'contact' adhesive, sticking to plastic and paper.

Reply to
Kirk

Good call Stuart. In fact the best results I've had so far have been with double-sided Sellotape (a bit finer than carpet tape).

Experiments continue. Thank you everyone for your input.

John

Reply to
John Rampling

Doesn't need to be Plastic Weld, Slaters MEK-PAK or Humbrol Liquid Poly will do the job just as well.

Reply to
John Shelley

Why don't you try some sticky-back plastic and ordinary household bleach.............

Reply to
Rob Kemp

The message from "John Shelley" contains these words:

True, but the same cautions apply - especially about the expanded polystyrene. I lost a sizable chunk of almost finished scenery when I knocked a bottle of Weld over: the stuff percolated down through the plaster and dissolved the foam underneath...

Reply to
David Jackson

"John Rampling" wrote in news:SGgNg.22865$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

UHU, also Modelzone sell a version of "Contacta" (?spelling) in a small glass pot with a brush in the lid, the formulation appears very similar, both work - usual disclaimer test first on an out of the way, piece just in case.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

What? Destroy expanded polystyrene?

Reply to
MartinS

Yes, those bottles are too easy to knock over! It didn't damage my cutting mat, but it did remove some of the lettering.

Reply to
MartinS

I always attach them to a block of wood with a rubber band to prevent them being knocked over, especially when SWMBO is out and I'm working on the dining room table!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" contains these words:

I have a block of wood with a hole the size of a Weld bottle cut in it. Works a treat. However I won't use Weld indoors - as a lapsed smoker I remember the effect it could have (my cough muscle never had so much exercise!).

Reply to
David Jackson

Soaking solvent cement (such the Plastic Weld mentioned by David Jackson) works fine. If you are joining card and plastic, spread a thinned plastic cement on the side of the paper to be glued, let it soak in and dry, and then glue with solvent cement. This stiffens the card, and may cause trouble with curved surfaces. You can make a thin plastic cement by dissolving leftover plastic bits in half a bottle of liquid cement.

The other glues mentioned will work more or less well, depending on how much mould release agent is left on the polystyrene. You should _always_ wash off the parts of a polystyrene kit in dishwashing detergent. That mould release agent interferes with paint, too.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

Polystrene as in airfix type kits, or expanded polystyrene as in foam?

Reply to
Paul Matthews