Track cleaning wagon

I bought an HO gauge Lilliput track cleaning wagon about 20 years ago.
It looks like a Shell oil tanker, but there is a screw top that you open
and fill with meths. On the bottom there are a pair of cast metal plates
that you can sandwich some felt between to clean the track. I fitted
Mainline couplings to it and it worked fantastically well. Unfortunately
over the years the plates bent and when I tried to bend them back they
shattered. Does anyone know where I can get spares for this wagon, or
know where I can get another one.
Reply to
Lodd3
There's a rail cleaning wagon here, though it's a bit pricey:
's available with Hornby-type couplers or NEM pockets.
Reply to
MartinS
The production died with Liliput in about 1990. Perhaps Bachmann/Liliput will bring it back one day, but it's one of Liliput's early models on a "standard" chassis which mangled every model they put on it so the chances aren't good.
There were a rash of them dropped on the market in the last days of the old Liliput company so you might even find one unopened somewhere. Otherwise I can only suggest making new plates out of heavy brass strip.
Regards, Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg Procter
I have one that I think is the same as yours. I stripped off all the silvery paint and spraypainted it black to match my rake of Dapol tankers (No transfers on it though). It is a little smaller (HO as opposed to OO), but still looks quite good running along with them.
It can be yours for for a tenner!
I now have a Centreline cleaning truck which is totally fantastic and is much easier to run since you can PUSH it rather than pulling it (Cleans the track BEFORE the loco that is driving it gets stuck on the dirty track you are trying to clean).
HTH
Andrew
Reply to
Andrew
I've heard that these are good - probably the best on the market.... but does anyone know where I can get one?
The links from the Centerline dealer list are all dead and emails just bounce from the one I tried (New Milton Model Centre).
To start with, I just want to know how much they cost.... Perhaps Mr Turner stocks them...John?
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
"Adrian" wrote
Sorry Adrian, can't help with that.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Sunningwell Command Control import the centreline cleaners
contact them here:
snipped-for-privacy@scc4dcc.co.uk
Reply to
Feebo
Price list on their website Centerline are well down the list. Keith
Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove
50 quid for HO/OO with tension lock couplers. Might be worth it for a large layout.
Reply to
MartinS
Thanks gents...
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
Alternatively Gaugemaster do track cleaning pads on a plastic assembly that clips to the axle of OO/HO wagons 3 for £2.50 IIRC.
Reply to
Bob Hope
Did you find that you need to add weight over the bogies? Mine seems to as it's keen to derail at every opportunity. Also, how much of the cleaning cloth stuff did you wrap round?
Regards,
Stuart.
Reply to
Stuart Smith
I found the whole length worked best.
Reply to
Andrew
I have a very dusty loft layout which needs cleaning just about every week - leave it longer and nothing runs properly. The thought of spending an hour just cleaning the main running tracks usually results in me saying "sod it" and doing something different instead. The Centerline is pricey, but if it really does a decent job, I'll be having one...
Would you recommend it for my dusty loft environment?
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
What about making some sort of dust cover?
roga
A sensible suggestion, but not really practical due to the large area involved and awkwards spaces between roof uprights. I'm working on a way of stopping the dust, which appears to come from under the eaves. Sealing up the "living space" would do it, but I need to maintain some sort of air flow. I'm thinking of using vents filtered using fabric of some sort.
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
"Adrian" responded to
with
It doesn't need to be anything sophisticated - what's wrong with some polythene sheeting?
John.
Reply to
John Turner