OO track Cleaning cars

I'm getting sick of cleaning my rails :-( (it's only a small set of
tracks too), and am looking at purchasing a track cleaning car. I know
Hornby do one, but is it (honestly, please) any good, and if not, what
alternatives are there that people can recommend.
TIA
Ian
Reply to
Ian Cornish
On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:53:41 +0100, Ian Cornish wrote in message :
Well, I'm no expert, but: the Hornby cleaner is pretty poor, unless your problem is oxidised rails, in which case it works a treat. The old-fashioned cleaners (a truck with a felt pad underneath) are OK in their way, but I find that Rail-Zip works best.
I do use a felt-pad truck filled with surgical spirit if the rails have become slippery for any reason.
Guy --
"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote
Rail Zip can wreck traction tyres on locos fitted with them, and is harmful to certain plastics.
Surgical spirit is slightly greasy and can also have an impact on traction tyres.
Even after all these years I find there is no real subsitute for a slightly abrasive track rubber to get track clean (followed by a good hoovering of the layout). If you can eliminate locos with rubber traction tyres and stick with all metal-wheeled stock your track will stay cleaner for longer.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Have you tried Gaugemaster axle-hung pads - available in 2mm & 4mm sizes?
Reply to
Bob Hope
Just got some of these from gaugemaster, and they work a treat. First of all, you do need to clean the track properly (and hoover up the little bits that get left behind), and attach the pads to a suitable wagon, and add it to a loco, and off you go. I was quite disgusted at the colour of the first pad when I finished approximately 30 minutes of running.
The only thing I would say about them is that the direction of travel is quite important, as they do easily "bounce" on the axles. That said, it's a cheap, and reasonably effective way of reducing the track maintenance effort (you still need to give the track a good clean occasionally, but not as often as without these pads). the other good thing is that they clean all the tracks on the turnouts, and not just those your train is currently running on.
Bob H> Have you tried Gaugemaster axle-hung pads - available in 2mm & 4mm sizes? >
Reply to
Ian Cornish
"Ian Cornish" wrote
Hust out of interest Ian, what cleaning fluid are you using with the Gaugemaster pads?
John.
Reply to
John Turner
At this time, I'm not using any fluid - gaugemaster don't mention this in the product instructions(or I'm going blind).
John Turner wrote:
Reply to
Ian Cornish
"Ian Cornish" wrote
Not read the instructions so can't comment, but their rep suggested they were to be used with some sort of track cleaning fluid. Maybe *he* got it wrong.
John.
Reply to
John Turner